Nice isolated thick area, but no beds???

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Divergent
500 Club

Re: Nice isolated thick area, but no beds???

Unread postby Divergent » Sat May 05, 2018 6:29 pm

If you have a main trail that skirts the transition then try moving up into the thicket 10-20 yards. Zig zag back and forth looking for discolored leaves on the ground. They’ll look a shade or two lighter in color.

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu May 10, 2018 3:27 pm

I have found in my area if the cover is continuous or like a big block and there are no edges for them to access the points benches and so on they want use it. It may be great cover but if the is no down wind edge that lines up with a bedding feature move on don’t pound it. Idk if u can see the cover on the place of a map but if u can find where the cover line dips closer to the point of the ridge on ur most common down wind. At least that’s what I see.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Fri May 11, 2018 9:16 am

dan wrote:Couple of things.... Someone above said "the sign don't lie" and that is absolutely true. Along with another response "You need to know when to move on"

However, it makes me wonder how good you are at seeing the sign, and what your deer density is? Have you walked other hilly areas on leeward sides and found beds? do you know what your looking for? Don't take that as an insult, in some areas, especially dry land areas like hill country it can be hard to see beds, especially if its rolling and has low density.

It might be worth a closer look... But either the bucks are there, or there not. Based on the land managers recommendation, I would say they are probably there somewhere, and your missing it. Is there swamp ground nearby? or is it all hilly? I can say I have places that have great bedding but its real hard to find the actual beds... But there is usually some sign. All bucks rub. There should be rubs somewhere if there are bucks.

Just realizing I didn'y reply yet :D

This is the area I sent you a PM about. The deer density is not great in this area. Compared to a private farm I hunt where there is sign everywhere this public has sign, but a lot less of it. No worries, I'm definitely not insulted as I am still learning. I am ok at finding beds but am still learning though after time on the beast and watching the Hill Country DVD I do feel like I have an idea what I'm looking for. Part of my problem may be that when I scouted this spot I didn't have time to check the points, which is what I plan to do this weekend. Hopefully, I'll post an update with more info after this weekend.

It is mostly hilly with some ag. there is a small marsh nearby as well.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Tue May 15, 2018 2:56 am

Well, I was able to get out and scout this area and am crossing it off the list. I hardly saw any sign and it was almost unwalkable with this brush/plant growing everywhere. The weird thing is that "if someone was trying to kill me" on this piece of public, this is exactly where I'd hide b/c it's so dang thick. But after 2 scouts in this area I am moving on as it just doesn't have the sign to back up pursuing it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 15, 2018 4:13 am

comeback_kid wrote:Well, I was able to get out and scout this area and am crossing it off the list. I hardly saw any sign and it was almost unwalkable with this brush/plant growing everywhere. The weird thing is that "if someone was trying to kill me" on this piece of public, this is exactly where I'd hide b/c it's so dang thick. But after 2 scouts in this area I am moving on as it just doesn't have the sign to back up pursuing it.

Not just trying to kill you, but like a coyote can smell you and follow your track... You wouldn't corral yourself in a thick jungle for a close attack, you would set up to watch him coming and smell from behind. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”