Scouting with dogs

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Danny1977
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danny.mannywithabigfatfanny/

Scouting with dogs

Unread postby Danny1977 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:25 am

Hey all,

I was just curious on your thoughts on bringing your dog or dogs with you while scouting. My first thought was that she would spook away any potential game as well as mess up any tracks that I may want to inspect. But then after some more thinking, I thought well, if it's a terrain feature that attracts deer to bed there then they will come back after my hyper dog has left the scene. I also thought that this is a good opportunity for her to possibly find any antler sheds. My last thought was that I am scouting just after the season ends in January until spring. After that I tend to leave my good spots alone until I feel it's right to go in and hunt them. Therefore, they should have plenty of time to bring the deer back in after my dog and I stink it up and bust the animals out of the area.

I do apologize for my "newbie" type questions. My only excuse is that I am of course....a newbie to hunting buck beds.

Thanks all,

Danny

Spent all of my money on archery and hunting gear.....the rest I just wasted
Weaver.b

Re: Scouting with dogs

Unread postby Weaver.b » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 am

I wouldnt worry about it. I like taking my dog and lettin her do some exploring. She could care less about sheds unfortunately but its nice bein out there with her. You gotta figure coyotes run through the area anyways so you taking your dog out right now isnt gonna hurt anything.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am

I wouldn’t worry either, except my dogs like to play too much and one has already broken her foot running through the woods with the other. So I’m very gun shy about it.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 am

i take my dog whenever i can, off season.
Danny1977

Unread postby Danny1977 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 am

Makes perfect sense my fellow hunters. My wife also appreciates the fact that I'm burning the energy from our hyper headed GSD lol. Plus it's just fun scouting with her and I know she loves it. Come closer to spring I plan to leave her at the house.

Thanks again
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:28 am

Take them with you! I had the same concerns when I first started scouting for beds. I basically bring mine up until it gets warm and the insects (ticks) are more active. If you can focus on what you are trying to get done without being sidetracked of your dog rolling around in a large mud pit then you will make them a happy best friend
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Danny1977 wrote:Hey all,

I was just curious on your thoughts on bringing your dog or dogs with you while scouting. My first thought was that she would spook away any potential game as well as mess up any tracks that I may want to inspect. But then after some more thinking, I thought well, if it's a terrain feature that attracts deer to bed there then they will come back after my hyper dog has left the scene. I also thought that this is a good opportunity for her to possibly find any antler sheds. My last thought was that I am scouting just after the season ends in January until spring. After that I tend to leave my good spots alone until I feel it's right to go in and hunt them. Therefore, they should have plenty of time to bring the deer back in after my dog and I stink it up and bust the animals out of the area.

I do apologize for my "newbie" type questions. My only excuse is that I am of course....a newbie to hunting buck beds.

Thanks all,

Danny

At least you were smart enough to ask! I just assumed and have been scouting with mine the last month. I was worried when I saw this thread I may have pooched things!
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 pm

I try to take my mosquito chomper after season every chance I can. He gets jacked on life as soon as I let him loose in a new area :lol:

Anyone have any experience taking a dog in areas that bears are somewhat common? Old blue isn’t exactly a fighter and I’ve been hesitant to bring him in any areas that we could run into a bear. I’m not sure how it would go down.

Danny1977

Unread postby Danny1977 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Babshaft wrote:
Danny1977 wrote:Hey all,

Thanks all,

Danny

At least you were smart enough to ask! I just assumed and have been scouting with mine the last month. I was worried when I saw this thread I may have pooched things!

Lmao! Thanks man. I doubt you have pooched things up too bad :P
Danny1977

Unread postby Danny1977 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:17 pm

JakeB wrote:I try to take my mosquito chomper after season every chance I can. He gets jacked on life as soon as I let him loose in a new area :lol:

Anyone have any experience taking a dog in areas that bears are somewhat common? Old blue isn’t exactly a fighter and I’ve been hesitant to bring him in any areas that we could run into a bear. I’m not sure how it would go down.

Good lookin pup Jake! We’re pretty thick with black bears here and my pup knows better then too run off. In fact she normally doesn’t let me out of her sight. As long as your dog isn’t prone to chasing bears then you should be fine. Keep a leash handy if you’re letting him/her off leash(not sure what your leash laws are). The bears I’ve seen out here are more afraid of us then we are of them. But anything can happen
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Danny1977 wrote:
JakeB wrote:I try to take my mosquito chomper after season every chance I can. He gets jacked on life as soon as I let him loose in a new area :lol:

Good lookin pup Jake! We’re pretty thick with black bears here and my pup knows better then too run off. In fact she normally doesn’t let me out of her sight. As long as your dog isn’t prone to chasing bears then you should be fine. Keep a leash handy if you’re letting him/her off leash(not sure what your leash laws are). The bears I’ve seen out here are more afraid of us then we are of them. But anything can happen

Thanks Danny!

That’s kind of what I’m worried about, I really don’t know what he will do if he runs into one. He never really ventures out of my sight, but will sometimes chase a rabbit or deer a little ways. The bears I’ve seen were never really scared of me more so kind of just went around me. He listens pretty good so I think I could control him if we were to run across one.

I can just picture him chasing a bear then as soon as he realizes what he’s chasing he changes directions and runs straight to me tail between his legs :lol:
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:31 pm

magicman54494 wrote:i take my dog whenever i can, off season.

X2
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:44 pm

ZSV wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:i take my dog whenever i can, off season.

X2

X3
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:47 pm

I've had my Lab out three times already. He is a year old and getting out there let's him burn some energy, he is a natural born athlete. I am training him to return to a coach's whistle so I don't have to yell over the wind sweeping the cattails. It is easy to lose sight of them though and the cat tails, and he's been gone from me a couple of times for up to 3-4 minutes. It is a PITA when he steps on the tracks I'm looking at...
I agree too about the coyotes, their running the public that I'm scouting hard, I don't think my dog's going to make that big of a difference.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:13 pm

I miss scouting with my Golden Retriever. He’s going on 16 years old this summer and just can’t do it anymore. Been about 5 years since he’s been able to go longer distances. Was always cool how he found deer beds sometimes with one still in it. He would go on alert downwind and then a deer would pop up from the bed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”