How to tell if it’s really a buck bed

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Danny1977
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danny.mannywithabigfatfanny/

Re: How to tell if it’s really a buck bed

Unread postby Danny1977 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:Dan taught me bucks are solitary animals. When you fund a buck bed you will know it. There are singular beds and there are big beds but most buck beds will have thick brush all around them and some kind of backstop. The real big beds on the tips of points or islands will be bedded on any wind direction. Then there will be points which will have singular beds on each side and the tip. This would be a wind specific bed.ive been looking for the really big beds where the buck is just getting up and switching positions in the same bed due to wind direction change i think the chances are better to see him hunting these big beds rarher than a single bed.
Doe beds will have several beds next to each other in usually random spots on transiotions but they bed in groups each deer looking in a different direction. Ive found a few of these doe spots while scouting this year and was confused but then read what it was here on a different thread Then you have the beds you find in bowls or points that look like caves inside a blowdown or thick hedge. They are like little bedrooms tucked up inside. Bucks also have some sort of overhanging somthing they do not like to bed in the direct sun if they dont have too. Keep at it good luck hope this helps

Thank you Lope. This helps greatly. I plan to save your post as part of my notes

Spent all of my money on archery and hunting gear.....the rest I just wasted
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 am

Danny1977 wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:Dan taught me bucks are solitary animals. When you fund a buck bed you will know it. There are singular beds and there are big beds but most buck beds will have thick brush all around them and some kind of backstop. The real big beds on the tips of points or islands will be bedded on any wind direction. Then there will be points which will have singular beds on each side and the tip. This would be a wind specific bed.ive been looking for the really big beds where the buck is just getting up and switching positions in the same bed due to wind direction change i think the chances are better to see him hunting these big beds rarher than a single bed.
Doe beds will have several beds next to each other in usually random spots on transiotions but they bed in groups each deer looking in a different direction. Ive found a few of these doe spots while scouting this year and was confused but then read what it was here on a different thread Then you have the beds you find in bowls or points that look like caves inside a blowdown or thick hedge. They are like little bedrooms tucked up inside. Bucks also have some sort of overhanging somthing they do not like to bed in the direct sun if they dont have too. Keep at it good luck hope this helps

Thank you Lope. This helps greatly. I plan to save your post as part of my notes

Any time brotha
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:28 am

This is a great thread. Awesome question with awesome responses. Definitely need to look a little harder myself and ask a few more questions.
Danny1977
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danny.mannywithabigfatfanny/

Unread postby Danny1977 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:45 am

Babshaft wrote:This is a great thread. Awesome question with awesome responses. Definitely need to look a little harder myself and ask a few more questions.

Don’t worry Babshaft, we will eventually get this figured out and the hard work will pay off.

Thanks man
Spent all of my money on archery and hunting gear.....the rest I just wasted
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24 am

if the bed is made and the area is clean then it is a doe bed. if the bed is unmade and there are dirty socks and underwear laying around then it is a buck bed.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 am

magicman54494 wrote:if the bed is made and the area is clean then it is a doe bed. if the bed is unmade and there are dirty socks and underwear laying around then it is a buck bed.

Hahahahaha awesome. If it’s a young bucks bed...don’t touch the dirty socks...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”