Sit up insight

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Halonhunter6

Sit up insight

Unread postby Halonhunter6 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Looking for some insight on a bed location I have found and the plan I have so far. Its close to a creek so im hoping that evening thermals will pull into the creek. Im not real familiar with thermals near a creek and will most likely test the wind and thermals in the off season to make sure I can get by with it.
Red dot= Buck bed Blue Dot= Stand location Yellow lines= Buck trails into bedding Red Lines= Deer Trails Light Blue lines= Hunter Travel Route Black Arrows = Possible wind directions

http://photos.thehuntingbeast.com/album ... F72396.png

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Sit up insight

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 pm

Im not real familiar with hill country but the location of that stand setup and from the dvds and stuff ive read on here that buck is gonns pick you off with rising thermals. Remember how dan said thermals work in hill country. You gotta get in that wind tunnel alomost off to the side 1/3 or 1/4 of the way down. The wind is gonna blow over top of hill and suck wind from the bottom where your stand is at and suck it right back up to the buck
Your hunt over before it started. I could be wrong though
But thats what i got out of watching the hill dvds and i live in very flat area. soGet alot of opinions lol good luck
Just what i remember about terrain like this
Also notice the j hook so he can scent check his bed ?
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:18 am

Is the thought that your scent will be pulled to the creek and move with it so it didn't go back up hill on the other side? Is this a AM or PM set up?. I am not very familiar with hill country but I plan on hunting some in the near future so I am interested to read the responses
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
Halonhunter6

Unread postby Halonhunter6 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 am

It would be a pm sit up with falling thermals. I thought I read somewhere that creeks and rivers pull thermals into them but was looking to get more info from some more experienced hunters on here.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:34 am

They will pull the thermals downhill hard in the evening with the water present. the shift will be more abrupt opposed from not having the water thrown in the mix. it will also create a down valley flow as well.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 am

ChasingFLATS86 wrote:Is the thought that your scent will be pulled to the creek and move with it so it didn't go back up hill on the other side? Is this a AM or PM set up?. I am not very familiar with hill country but I plan on hunting some in the near future so I am interested to read the responses

Could be too. With the water current will actually change wind direction too especially with different temps of the water. So am would be eventually warming rising and pm with a cooling effect. Therefore dropping but. It really depends on how big the body of water is and that will dictate the temprature of the water. The less or shallower the water the quicker it will warm up in am and vise versa in pm. I hope i worded that right lol
Also. How is that deer accessing thst bed and exiting thst bed I gaurantee there is a j hook trail. Along that creek somewhere
You really should try to sneak into ghat buck going into the point from the back with just an off wind so you stay out of the wind stream getting to him. Its almost like hunting the deer having the deer down wind of you but like i said not crossing the scent stream to him
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:51 am

Cool looking saddles upper left of the bed...wind will be tricky and the only way to learn is to investigate :handgestures-thumbup:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:44 am

creepingdeth wrote:Cool looking saddles upper left of the bed...wind will be tricky and the only way to learn is to investigate :handgestures-thumbup:

I was gonna say the same thing u have 2 very nice saddle set ups there.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:28 am

Halonhunter6 wrote:Looking for some insight on a bed location I have found and the plan I have so far. Its close to a creek so im hoping that evening thermals will pull into the creek. Im not real familiar with thermals near a creek and will most likely test the wind and thermals in the off season to make sure I can get by with it.
Red dot= Buck bed Blue Dot= Stand location Yellow lines= Buck trails into bedding Red Lines= Deer Trails Light Blue lines= Hunter Travel Route Black Arrows = Possible wind directions

check that point where the center arrow is that looks like a spot a real big buck could lay and get 3 different thermal rises at same time that's a classic big buck bed location if a buck bedded there he could smell the whole valley and have great exits
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:30 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Halonhunter6 wrote:Looking for some insight on a bed location I have found and the plan I have so far. Its close to a creek so im hoping that evening thermals will pull into the creek. Im not real familiar with thermals near a creek and will most likely test the wind and thermals in the off season to make sure I can get by with it.

check that point where the center arrow is that looks like a spot a real big buck could lay and get 3 different thermal rises at same time that's a classic big buck bed location if a buck bedded there he could smell the whole valley and have great exits

actually 4 exits threw those raveans
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”