Buck Beds over Scrapes

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Buck Beds over Scrapes

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:31 am

I recently walked over a buck bedding area that I found last year. This year there were 3 scrapes, still being used just down wind of several buck beds. The scrapes were off three different trails that were connected by rubs leaving the beds.

I've seen scrapes in close proximity to buck beds, but I've never seen a scrape within 50 yards of a Bucks bed. Especially one that was in view of 2/3 buck beds.

My guess is the scrapes are at the edge of their staging area where they hang out and wait until dark to really begin to move.

Anyone else seen something similar to this?

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: Buck Beds over Scrapes

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Forgot.. primary scrape please delete

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:01 pm

I see this all the time where I hunt the bucks sit during the rut and watch the scrapes. the buck I killed this year was going in to his bed from a scrape they do this a lot in big woods areas with low deer numbers. they will sit and watch for a doe too hit the scrape. then get right on her trail its like they are sitting in ambush.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:51 am

Twenty Up wrote:I recently walked over a buck bedding area that I found last year. This year there were 3 scrapes, still being used just down wind of several buck beds. The scrapes were off three different trails that were connected by rubs leaving the beds.

I've seen scrapes in close proximity to buck beds, but I've never seen a scrape within 50 yards of a Bucks bed. Especially one that was in view of 2/3 buck beds.

My guess is the scrapes are at the edge of their staging area where they hang out and wait until dark to really begin to move.

I just listened to mario and dan talk about this on podcast 14 15-16. One of them.
Dan said scrapes associated with bedding are the best
He and mario went over a spot they hunt and the killed 2-3 different beautiful bucks snd i think marios biggest
And it was all over a scrape right next to or in the bedding I actually think all three kills are on marsh or swamp cds too. And I remember dan telling me last weekend they are good. So scrapes in bedding i would say. Are red hot spots when being used.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:36 am

Lopedog699 wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:I recently walked over a buck bedding area that I found last year. This year there were 3 scrapes, still being used just down wind of several buck beds. The scrapes were off three different trails that were connected by rubs leaving the beds.

I just listened to mario and dan talk about this on podcast 14 15-16. One of them.
Dan said scrapes associated with bedding are the best
He and mario went over a spot they hunt and the killed 2-3 different beautiful bucks snd i think marios biggest
And it was all over a scrape right next to or in the bedding I actually think all three kills are on marsh or swamp cds too. And I remember dan telling me last weekend they are good. So scrapes in bedding i would say. Are red hot spots when being used.
most of my best beds relate with scrapes even if they are not active on the dirt the licking branch gets hit year round. I love putting cameras on spots like this I will go as far as maintaining the licking branch with a couple grape vines and 550 cord. the best one I have is 1 acer shallow nob jutting out into a swamp on a travel corridor that connects 7 different buck beds into a center hub. that nob gets close to 30 scrapes on it every year and the whole perimeter on swamp edge gets full of rubs. I keep a camera on it year round on the biggest scrape and get thousands of pics year round. I get a overload of mature buck activity on it the last weak of October which is normally a weak before rut. the mature bucks cruse that area all day long for a short period of time I normally hunt it once in early season then hit it hard for 2 or 3 days in that pre rut time period I will get 70% of my buck sightings in a handful of days on it. just above that section is major finger ridges and bowls that hold high doe populations and doe bedding. the bucks can thermal check all the way out of the swamps. in complete safety and tear that nob up using the same advantages they get while bedding 2 wind thermal tunnel and line of sight. the bucks will focus on the scrapes in relation to wind just like if the scrapes were beds they were intending to lay on. they j hook them and approach with dropping thermals and everything.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:18 am

Thanks for the input y'all. Initially it threw me off but I completely forgot about primary scrapes. Makes sense now and it's a well used bedding area year in and out due to no hunting pressure.

Guess I need to keep checking the All Time Tactical threads more and see what else I've forgotten.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”