trick for gun season while scouting this year

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

trick for gun season while scouting this year

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:45 am

if you jump a buck while scouting for beds after you done scouting the area take some time and track that buck and see where he goes he could lead you to a sanctuary where he will hold up in during gun season. I have hilled a couple target bucks that way over the years. mature bucks are creatures of habit and often run and hide in the same places they are programed to do so. often they end up down in some low swamp or bowl that normally cant be hunted but with a gun and a rushing deer he does not have time to scent check you. remember every spot you jump a buck during the gun season they don't go to those places at random. you can use this tactic bow season if you bust out the buck you were slipping in on. instead of having a blown hunt go after him and set up on the flank and take him out of his next spot. mature bucks don't like to run and will tend to stop right away and see if your following him give him a hours time and try again. guess its the bump and flank maneuver.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Bigburner

Re: trick for gun season while scouting this year

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:31 am

I've seen this happen but have not had the kill to back it up. I 'd bump a buck out of his bed and bump him again in his secondary bed. If I had been gun hunting I would have smoked him but I'm a die hard when it comes to the bow. I have made moves to try to catch the buck coming back to the bed in the morning because I wasn't able to set up on him in the afternoon due to him having way to much of an advantage. Almost every time he's come in in the dark and walked out of my life forever as they say. :lol:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: trick for gun season while scouting this year

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:59 am

Bigburner wrote:I've seen this happen but have not had the kill to back it up. I 'd bump a buck out of his bed and bump him again in his secondary bed. If I had been gun hunting I would have smoked him but I'm a die hard when it comes to the bow. I have made moves to try to catch the buck coming back to the bed in the morning because I wasn't able to set up on him in the afternoon due to him having way to much of an advantage. Almost every time he's come in in the dark and walked out of my life forever as they say. :lol:
yea morning bed sits are tuff and only work with special circumstances and timing. most times you are better off with a gun so you can stay far back and snipe them out when they stretch their legs and brows for bow its almost exclusively during the early or late rut. or on a scrape on edge of bedding pre rut threw out the day.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”