points on cal topo

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

points on cal topo

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:04 am

ok
i know that bucks bed on points and wind tunnel on hillsides
i also know you can see the points and drop off spots on topos formed by topographical lines that are in hill country
well its flat here but there are topographical lines in specific places .i use hillmap now and it shows alot especially in big pieces of woods
should i still look at the topo lines that for points for bedding ?and in some places the aireal in the woods the ground looks black like swamp .
but within the black there is brown circles . are the circles high points in the swamp within the water? the topos look to have topographical circles around these spots
im sure if they are high points or islands that bucks will bed there
any opines? i was gonna ask dan about this but i actually forgot
i have a pic but im still doing something wrong trying to post them i gotta figure out eventually

KLEMZ

Re: points on cal topo

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:22 am

Lopedog699 wrote:well its flat here but there are topographical lines in specific places .i use hillmap now and it shows alot especially in big pieces of woods
should i still look at the topo lines that for points for bedding ?

Yes. In flattish terrain they will still bed with "hill bedding" tendencies, but the hills are more subtle. In this kind of area you need both topo lines and aerials together (either side by side like in hill map...or overlayed like in caltopo). The reason is you want to find the gentle points or humps that align with thicker vegetation on top and more open vegetation down hill.

Lopedog699 wrote:and in some places the aireal in the woods the ground looks black like swamp .
but within the black there is brown circles . are the circles high points in the swamp within the water? the topos look to have topographical circles around these spots
im sure if they are high points or islands that bucks will bed there
any opines?

From your description I would say those brown areas on the aerial are high spots. Definately check them out.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:34 am

Ok bro thanks.
They look like islands almost
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:34 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Ok bro thanks.

yes you are correct sometimes you cant even see them when your in their so punch in the codes on gps. or scout it flooded a couple times with hip boots you will see all the dry land that typically is their preferred buck bedding. that's how I did it before a computer a lot and still today the maps don't show everything either.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:39 am

Ok im gonna try to post a pic in a short while
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:13 am

Try to find mapping options w/ closer contour lines. Some of these maps may cost money but can be a game changer. I have yet to use any bc my hills are larger scale BUT if I lived in flatter area I would definitely try figure it out. If I had extra money to spend on detailed maps I would do it.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:23 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Try to find mapping options w/ closer contour lines. Some of these maps may cost money but can be a game changer. I have yet to use any bc my hills are larger scale BUT if I lived in flatter area I would definitely try figure it out. If I had extra money to spend on detailed maps I would do it.

I like that where are you buying thoes
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:54 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:Ok bro thanks.

yes you are correct sometimes you cant even see them when your in their so punch in the codes on gps. or scout it flooded a couple times with hip boots you will see all the dry land that typically is their preferred buck bedding. that's how I did it before a computer a lot and still today the maps don't show everything either.

Ok makes sense. And most guys arent going out in the watsr either. So i have quite a few spots i have fuond
Mapping on hillmaps .com like this ill try to post an example today. Thnks

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”