What's in your all day scouting pack?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: What's in your all day scouting pack?

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:12 pm

burkhart wrote:
Tater wrote:
burkhart wrote:I don’t require much

Water/TP/snacks in car
Map software on phone
Phone

I think I’d add a portable charger so I can keep my phone charged.

Most of my spots have been cyber scouted first so I don’t aimlessly walk all day. I hit my high percentage areas. Then lol for and small overlooked areas. Map it all as a I walk it to review later snaps few pics And move on

There is exactly why i started this thread lol. I probably would have over looked TP . . . . . . At least for the first day!

Left the woods missing under wear and socks a many of times

Ill come home somtimes with a long sleeve shirt with one short sleeve and one long my wife will say well if ya gotta go ya gotta go

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 am

climbing stick with aider, trail cam, gps, head lamp, compass, milkweed, water, (chew), spare, batteries, topo and aerial maps, wind, meter, rubber boots, binoculars, range finder, heavy leather gloves, venison jerky,note (pad and pencil), knife, heavy duty pants, TP and a packable puffy jacket a good pack that only gets used for scouting. everything stays in that pack and never comes out and stays in my back seat year round.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Tater wrote:BH15 has a good video where he details some of his "essentials" for going into a new piece for first time intel. A friend and i are planning a 2 day scouting trip and i want to make sure i bring the essentials along. Im interested in hearing what items some of you have found are helpful to bring along. We will likely be on the woods pretty much all day long on these days.

Depends on time of year for me and climate but as an example right now in my area I bring.
Milkweed and alot to it
2 sticks
Spare socks, gloves, and hat
Hatchet
Water
Lighter
Phone
Pencil notepad
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:11 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:climbing stick with aider, trail cam, gps, head lamp, compass, milkweed, water, (chew), spare, batteries, topo and aerial maps, wind, meter, rubber boots, binoculars, range finder, heavy leather gloves, venison jerky,note (pad and pencil), knife, heavy duty pants, TP and a packable puffy jacket a good pack that only gets used for scouting. everything stays in that pack and never comes out and stays in my back seat year round.

Hey ghost how do you get your foot to go in aider easily im having difficulty doing this
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:climbing stick with aider, trail cam, gps, head lamp, compass, milkweed, water, (chew), spare, batteries, topo and aerial maps, wind, meter, rubber boots, binoculars, range finder, heavy leather gloves, venison jerky,note (pad and pencil), knife, heavy duty pants, TP and a packable puffy jacket a good pack that only gets used for scouting. everything stays in that pack and never comes out and stays in my back seat year round.

Hey ghost how do you get your foot to go in aider easily im having difficulty doing this

Piece of garden hose as step spreader and hang it so its off the front of step spacing it from tree then just wiggle your foot around lol
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:20 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Lopedog699 wrote:

Piece of garden hose as step spreader and hang it so its off the front of step spacing it from tree then just wiggle your foot around lol

Ok good idea ill try that thanks great idea
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:31 pm

For scouting I use a small backpack. Inside I carry a water bladder, knife, toilet paper, battery pack for charging my gps or phone if needed, extra hat/gloves, couple body warmer packs, basic first aid kit and a few granola bars for a snack if needed during a long scouting day. Most important thing is a orange hat or glove to hang in buck beds at bedded head height so I can plan where to approach my tree so the buck cannot see me.

For navigation and marking scouting data I use my phone for aerials and Garmin Oregon 600 for everything else.

Oh I almost forgot.....milkweed in my pockets of course.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:
ihookem wrote:Yes, dont forget the toilet paper. I forgot a few outings ago and ended up using my glove. It's still out there. Maybe in the spring I will fetch it. For hunting it is stand, backpack with TP,, knife, at least on cumpass, flashlight, rope, orange ribbon to tie to the trees when following blodd trails. I have plenty of orange ribbon just taking it down all the time on public land and sometimes an extra pair of gloves , incase I forget T.P.

Hey little tip for tracking maybe you know instead of using colored tape use actual toilet paper it works great blood trailing and you dont have to collect it after you are done it breaks down and disappears as soon as it rains its great
my buddy uses florescent colored chalk from the chalk line real for snapping lines on decks he puts it in a wind indicator bottle and blows it onto trees two or three rains and its gone.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44 pm

another tip for scouting try and buy all electronics so the batteries are the same size then you only need one type of batteries my wind meter trail cams head lamp and backup mag lite and gps all run on aa batteries
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Dewey wrote:For scouting I use a small backpack. Inside I carry a water bladder, knife, toilet paper, battery pack for charging my gps or phone if needed, extra hat/gloves, couple body warmer packs, basic first aid kit and a few granola bars for a snack if needed during a long scouting day. Most important thing is a orange hat or glove to hang in buck beds at bedded head height so I can plan where to approach my treeso the buck cannot see me.

For navigation and marking scouting data I use my phone for aerials and Garmin Oregon 600 for everything else.

Brilliant Dewey that will be with me on my next trip out
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:17 pm

Bedbug wrote:
Dewey wrote:For scouting I use a small backpack. Inside I carry a water bladder, knife, toilet paper, battery pack for charging my gps or phone if needed, extra hat/gloves, couple body warmer packs, basic first aid kit and a few granola bars for a snack if needed during a long scouting day. Most important thing is a orange hat or glove to hang in buck beds at bedded head height so I can plan where to approach my treeso the buck cannot see me.

I can’t take credit for that. Singing Bridge taught me this trick.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:30 pm

I take a pack filled with the following items:

Knife
Compass
Water
TP
Granola bars
Hand saw
Trail cams (depends what time of year though)
Gloves
Cell phone
Flashlight
Flint
Tater

Unread postby Tater » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Dewey wrote:
Bedbug wrote:

I can’t take credit for that. Singing Bridge taught me this trick.

That is a great idea!
Interested in a custom tune . . . . .

Visit us at http://www.tatersarcherysolutions.com
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Dewey wrote:For scouting I use a small backpack. Inside I carry a water bladder, knife, toilet paper, battery pack for charging my gps or phone if needed, extra hat/gloves, couple body warmer packs, basic first aid kit and a few granola bars for a snack if needed during a long scouting day. Most important thing is a orange hat or glove to hang in buck beds at bedded head height so I can plan where to approach my tree so the buck cannot see me.

Chick boom
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:33 pm

The first aid came into play after a few mishaps. Iv found a orange dog vest works great for the buck beds too. For new guys a range finder or binos will help with setups. My lunch is traditionally - jerky/sandwhich, sour cream chips, welchs fruit snacks and a Gatorade. I try to find a cool spot to take a lunch and think.

ALWAYS take a portable charger pack as well. Save battery by turning on airplane mode. And no jumping! Sure its fun... Then you feel something weird on the landing. Thats your body reminding you how old you are! :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”