Hill country workshop march 3 (max capacity, sign up closed)

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hill country workshop march 3 (max capacity, sign up closed)

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:05 am

I had a blast too, what a great group of killers! 8-) I would hate to be a deer in the hills with these guys coming after me!

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 am

Thanks to everyone who made the trek! Nice to meet fellow beast and great questions and conversation!
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:36 am

The weather for the workshop turned out to be about as good as it gets in Minnesota in early March. The day was sunny and bright and the snow was less than a foot deep in most spots. The workshop exceeded my expectations. There is so much to learn and there is no substitute for seeing things first hand. Having Dan and Jeff point out the key terrain features and explain how to set up to intercept bucks was priceless. My understanding of buck movement as it relates to the wind and thermals before, during, and after the rut is now much clearer. I have no doubt that I will be able to put a nice mature buck in range of my bow this fall.

I met a great group of guys (and one lady hunter) at the workshop and we talked for hours after the workshop was officially over. Dan came over and joined in our conversations and we had a blast. There is nothing quite like talking buck hunting with the Big Buck Serial Killer!
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 am

All the Beast vehicles lined up heading to the pizza placelooked like a big buck funeral procession to me...

Glad I went to a marsh workshop and a hill country workshop. Marsh/swamp bedding trumps hill country bedding in areas that have both. Especially under pressure. I didn't grow up hunting marsh or hill country so that was a big takeaway for me. Looking forward to the new videos coming up (big woods and rivers)... and placing an order for sticks.

Daniel from Thunder Bay (DHURTUBISE) is hoping to get in touch with the Beast member (Sunday session) that was a shed hunter for 15 years before picking up hunting. I didn't catch his name. Had a green sweatshirt on. Anyone know his Beast handle?
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:29 am

HighNtree wrote:The weather for the workshop turned out to be about as good as it gets in Minnesota in early March. The day was sunny and bright and the snow was less than a foot deep in most spots. The workshop exceeded my expectations. There is so much to learn and there is no substitute for seeing things first hand. Having Dan and Jeff point out the key terrain features and explain how to set up to intercept bucks was priceless. My understanding of buck movement as it relates to the wind and thermals before, during, and after the rut is now much clearer. I have no doubt that I will be able to put a nice mature buck in range of my bow this fall.

I met a great group of guys (and one lady hunter) at the workshop and we talked for hours after the workshop was officially over. Dan came over and joined in our conversations and we had a blast. There is nothing quite like talking buck hunting with the Big Buck Serial Killer!

Great to meet you Highintree...it was cool to see Dan hit everyones table to chat, nothing like pizza w/John Wayne :lol: :lol: By the way, whats up w/ the name?? By beast standards, high is 30ft.,you going up that far :lol: ??
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:50 pm

creepingdeth wrote:Great to meet you Highintree...it was cool to see Dan hit everyones table to chat, nothing like pizza w/John Wayne :lol: :lol: By the way, whats up w/ the name?? By beast standards, high is 30ft.,you going up that far :lol: ??

Creepingdeth,
I used to climb up to 30 feet back before I learned that I couldn't fly :lol: If I had to choose a name now, then it would be Not So HighNTree! Good to meet you too.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:24 am

HighNtree wrote:
creepingdeth wrote:Great to meet you Highintree...it was cool to see Dan hit everyones table to chat, nothing like pizza w/John Wayne :lol: :lol: By the way, whats up w/ the name?? By beast standards, high is 30ft.,you going up that far :lol: ??

Creepingdeth,
I used to climb up to 30 feet back before I learned that I couldn't fly :lol: If I had to choose a name now, then it would be Not So HighNTree! Good to meet you too.

Learning to Fly is easy as Tom Petty used to say... It the landing that ain't so fun!
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:58 pm

dan wrote:I had a blast too, what a great group of killers! 8-) I would hate to be a deer in the hills with these guys coming after me!

Dan,at the end of the seminar you asked us if there was anything else we'd like to see added to the things we looked at. I hadn't really had time to mull the things we looked at (and didn't) that might have been helpful to see first hand. So in keeping with that thought, I think it would be helpful when pointing out the bedding to show an example of the exit trail and how to pick a good ambush spot/tree. I know that I was really looking the beds over and looking at exit trails, but I wonder if alot of the guys are so focused on seeing the beds that they fail to understand it's just a piece of the puzzle. Again, great workshop, I really enjoyed the day. You guys did a great job. :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”