2018 Scouting Reports

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: 2018 Scouting Reports

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:38 am

tgreeno wrote:
Dewey wrote:Just got home from shining 9 pm-12 am. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW! The big boys were out tonight. :o 8-)

I really like these warm and muggy summer nights. Always seems to have the bucks up and moving after a really hot day. They are hitting the beans hard right now. Every single bean field adjacent to marsh had nice bucks in them. The average size I saw tonight was pretty amazing and I'm guessing they are looking pretty much fully developed already. Pretty excited not only about the quality but the numbers were off the chart for around here. Hopefully it's a sign of a great upcoming season. Pretty excited because all of the big bucks came from areas I know very well and are some of my best spots for the first few weeks of the season.

Great news for you! Looking forward to see how your early season pans out!

Unfortunately early August patterns don’t usually pan out for mid-September. Been around long enough to know that. Once the beans turn yellow it’s a totally different game. Gives me hope just knowing the bucks are around. Can’t kill them if their not there.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:07 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:
Dewey wrote:Just got home from shining 9 pm-12 am. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW! The big boys were out tonight. :o 8-)

I really like these warm and muggy summer nights. Always seems to have the bucks up and moving after a really hot day. They are hitting the beans hard right now. Every single bean field adjacent to marsh had nice bucks in them. The average size I saw tonight was pretty amazing and I'm guessing they are looking pretty much fully developed already. Pretty excited not only about the quality but the numbers were off the chart for around here. Hopefully it's a sign of a great upcoming season. Pretty excited because all of the big bucks came from areas I know very well and are some of my best spots for the first few weeks of the season.

Great news for you! Looking forward to see how your early season pans out!

Unfortunately early August patterns don’t usually pan out for mid-September. Been around long enough to know that. Once the beans turn yellow it’s a totally different game. Gives me hope just knowing the bucks are around. Can’t kill them if their not there.

I totally agree Dewey. But getting eye's on any shooters near my hunting areas is always a confidence builder!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Nice dewey. We were driving home from my parents yesterday evening for about an hour and a half. Saw lots of deer out and actually about half of them were bucks, way more than i usually see on that drive. I made a comment to abby that it seemed like a good night to go out shining. Sounds like i should have listened to my own advice
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:03 pm

hunter_mike wrote:

Nice dewey. We were driving home from my parents yesterday evening for about an hour and a half. Saw lots of deer out and actually about half of them were bucks, way more than i usually see on that drive. I made a comment to abby that it seemed like a good night to go out shining. Sounds like i should have listened to my own advice

This may have had something to do with it.

Actually I think I was a little late because most were done feeding and already headed back to bedding.

Tonight I’m patiently waiting right now covertly on my mountain bike. :shhh:

Seeing plenty of deer but no bucks yet.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:15 pm

That is definitely the time period we were driving back in. Pretty cool
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:25 pm

Awesome Dewey! Saw the same thing up north this week while on vacation. The deer population has been hurting for quite some time up there but saw 16 different bucks (8 shooter), plus countless does, all less than 1 mile from our hunting areas. Glad to see the numbers and quality coming back.
lightsareout

Unread postby lightsareout » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:58 pm

I sure miss going shining; in the south its considered harassing the wildlife :doh:
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:33 am

Net Guy wrote:

Awesome Dewey! Saw the same thing up north this week while on vacation. The deer population has been hurting for quite some time up there but saw 16 different bucks (8 shooter), plus countless does, all less than 1 mile from our hunting areas. Glad to see the numbers and quality coming back.

Thanks Net Guy ….. Gets me pumped to get up there again !
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:00 am

strutnrut716 wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

Thanks Net Guy ….. Gets me pumped to get up there again !

Lets hope we can keep it that way and grow the population. Predation and our own doings at times make me worry that it's not sustainable.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 pm

I went in the woods today and set a trail cam on a buck trail that enters and exits primary bedding. Gonna let it soak. Wanna place my other cam soon. Havnt used trail cams for deer in a long time.

Felt good to be out, my goodness it looks so different with all the greenage.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Did some glassing from the truck tonight at a new public piece - saw 6 deer total in the CRP, all does. Saw one suspicious truck parked alongside the road with no one in it. Not sure if they were observing as well? I’m hoping to do some more glassing tomorrow night while the wife is away for the evening. There’s a nice one around I’d like to get a visual of 8-)
boldlygo

Unread postby boldlygo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:30 am

Drove out this morning, a number of deer in the fields. Not in the beans or goldenrod, just the nice green grass (probably a few weeks after a haying). Saw a few good bucks which is rare for me, all private land. Pulled 3 cameras and got a picture of a possible BEAST... On their phone carrying a climbing stick lol! I did find a nice pile of deer scat, large diameter.

I've been scouting summers since I started because I've almost always been in "school" one way or another. Doggedly determined to prove the weary, veteran hunters that there is merit to it. That's me though, fairly stubborn and competitive. However, I drove a good distance to this spot and bailed after only an hour and a half because of bugs and water from an overnight storm... I'll probably keep scouting timber in the summer, but I may finally tip the hat to summer swamps. The vegetation is so thick it's difficult to see sign unless you walk right onto it (like that scat) and the water levels aren't what they will be in Oct/November. I admit defeat!
“A grindstone that had not grit in it, how long would it take to sharpen an ax? And affairs that had not grit in them, how long would they take to make a man?”
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:35 am

Last edited by <DK> on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:46 am

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:46 am

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”