Where to get help with scouting?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cajun Shooter

Where to get help with scouting?

Unread postby Cajun Shooter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Hey everyone is this where I should post up info and pics to get help with scouting my property?

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: Where to get help with scouting?

Unread postby jwilkstn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Post 'em up. Lots of help available here. Good idea to black out or otherwise omit any identifying features that could give away your location...
Not all those who wander are lost...
Cajun Shooter

Unread postby Cajun Shooter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:01 pm

jwilkstn wrote:Post 'em up. Lots of help available here. Good idea to black out or otherwise omit any identifying features that could give away your location...

Okay thanks Jwildstn! Here we go.

First this is a 250 acres high fence property. Everyone always thinks this is like shooting cattle. This has been the most difficult hunting I could imagine. It is fairly hilly (about 30 to 40') with a lot of deep creeks (mostly dry) but mostly steep and up to 20' deep, running from north west to south east. It is almost all hardwood with the exception of the little pine flat to the north west. It has a very thick underbrush that is mostly yaupon. You can see the boundary line on the picture, that is the high fence surrounding it. You can probably tell it has about a 6 acre food plot and about 3 acre lake to the east of it.

I have had a huge problem patterning deer on this property and need lots of help. It seems to me that the deer are bedding almost any where they want to and change at will but it seems like I've got to figure out how to where they're bedding and try to catch them coming out of there.

Please ask questions and let me know you're thoughts!

Here's a pic, I included the coordinates in case you'd like to look at it on Google Earth but the truth is, you just can't seem much because it's so thick.

Well apparently I can't post pictures? Is it because I don't have enough posts? Do I need to start blabbering?
Cajun Shooter

Unread postby Cajun Shooter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:58 pm

Okay got it!
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:29 pm

250 acres is very small area when it's closed in with a fence. not many guys on here will get too in depth with this because we don't hunt this type of land scenario. They may have bedding tendencies than can be searched and learned in the search section at the top or they may act like a dog in the backyard pen spending a lot of time near the fences. I'd start by "scouting" the whole 250 acres and start writing down where the sign and beds etc are.
Cajun Shooter

Unread postby Cajun Shooter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:04 pm

hunter10 wrote:250 acres is very small area when it's closed in with a fence. not many guys on here will get too in depth with this because we don't hunt this type of land scenario. They may have bedding tendencies than can be searched and learned in the search section at the top or they may act like a dog in the backyard pen spending a lot of time near the fences. I'd start by "scouting" the whole 250 acres and start writing down where the sign and beds etc are.

Yeah I'm hoping to get some advice or ideas from someone who may have hunted/scouted a high fence area or someone who may be able to think through the possabilities knowing the tendencies of Whitetails and how their patterns may differ.

I have scouted the whole 250 acres and found beds and have logged them all down on my mapping app. My problems have been finding them there when I go in. Maybe my access is the problem. One of the crazy things I think I have recognized is the seem to all bed on the north side and almost nothing on the south side.

Last year I almost purely hunting the south side, thinking that was the best (but not knowing what I know today about scouting). I wonder if I pushed them all to the north side or if there is a reason that's the side they'd rather be on for some reason.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:55 pm

You hunt the south, they'll go to the north fence. You hunt the west and they likely will just move to the east fence. If you have trouble finding them when you go in them maybe invest in a gps to mark your beds etc

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”