Smart Scouter

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Smart Scouter

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:33 pm

Has anyone had any experience using the smart scouter trail cams? I used the moultrie /modem system last couple years. Poor quality pics and not very reliable. Scouters seem like they might have a better system. If didnt live so far from BC wouldnt matter,but only get there a couple times before opener.Biggest issue is cell service.I only utilized the moultrie system on top of ridges.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Smart Scouter

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:20 am

Some of the cameras out there now are really making me question the ethics... Don't get me wrong, I don't blame anyone who uses them. At some point we jumped from black powder to rifle, and from recurve to compound...
With a camera that can email pic's or have the pic's be viewed remotly, for me hunting could be as easy as putting a camera with a large battery and a solar pack at the entrance / exit to every bedding area or over every mature buck bed.
I could get up in the morning and check the cameras online to see where the buck is bedded and hunt that bedding area that evening. Sure, it still requires skill to find the beds. But at what point does it start to go to far?
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:11 am

I think Dan is right and don't they cost around 500 dollars?
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:17 am

dan wrote:Some of the cameras out there now are really making me question the ethics... Don't get me wrong, I don't blame anyone who uses them. At some point we jumped from black powder to rifle, and from recurve to compound...
With a camera that can email pic's or have the pic's be viewed remotly, for me hunting could be as easy as putting a camera with a large battery and a solar pack at the entrance / exit to every bedding area or over every mature buck bed.
I could get up in the morning and check the cameras online to see where the buck is bedded and hunt that bedding area that evening. Sure, it still requires skill to find the beds. But at what point does it start to go to far?

I gotta agree with this..If the trailcamera companies are not careful, all trailcameras will be banned for hunting use. That is actually fine with me, because I only use trailcameras before season to inventory the bucks in my area. I do not use them during the season; In my opinion, the cameras will spook more deer during season because of the extra scent in and out. I guess the smart scouter cameras would solve this but they are not for me. However, they would help people like the original poster because he or she would not have to make as many trips to and from the hunting area to check the cameras; I can understand both sides of the coin but where do we stop with technology?
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:53 am

I have never tried them because I don't normally get cell service in the areas I hunt.And there is no way I am going to spend that much on a camera. I have also heard that the cameras malfunction quite a bit,And their customer service is horrible.It's all here say.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:11 am

I absolutely see both sides of the ethical debate. I think i read somewhere that you cant enter into p&y if you have used a cellular cam to help harvest your animal. It could have b&c.For me personally a camera that will email me pics when im so far away,saves gas and of course its pretty awesome to see whats happening on your property.Unfortunately My hunting tactics leave plenty of room for a whitetail to outsmart me even if i was to utilize a cell cam :lol: I do appreciate the input. The last thing i want to do is invest in a product that wont do the job its supposed to. With the moultrie system i used two years ago it was pretty frustrating.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:23 am

i think it would be a nice thing to have/try out..the only problem for me is i have to check my other doezen cameras so why buy one? i have to go out there anyways...and another reason is i would hate it if my phone kept ringing all night long with new pictures comeing in...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:36 am

huntinfool14 wrote:i think it would be a nice thing to have/try out..the only problem for me is i have to check my other doezen cameras so why buy one? i have to go out there anyways...and another reason is i would hate it if my phone kept ringing all night long with new pictures comeing in...

They don't get ent to your phone. They get sent to your email.
They have another one out that don't need the cell service. The picks can be viewed by a device remotly, but it only works for about two miles, and I doubt it works for the 2 miles as the company suggests.
My biggest struggle with the tecknowledgy is a rich guy could buy 50 of these and cover every bedding area and if you know when the buck is bedding there I would say your odds of killing him are better than 50% in most cases. So the point is this another way rich guys can buy success.
If its legal, I would consider using it. But to answer the O.P's origanal question, personally, I think the tecknowledgy is a little new and some bugs need to get worked out and the price will come down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”