Bedding in the rain?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BoilerBuck

Bedding in the rain?

Unread postby BoilerBuck » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:22 am

We're dealing with a monsoon here in Northern Michigan currently and it got me wondering: during moderate to heavy rain do you think bucks will move to a different bedding location that provides thick overhead cover (e.g. big cedar trees)? I have some beds in more traditional/open spots but I just can't envision a mature buck sitting in cattails or poplar thicket during a downpour. I could be wrong though... Curious what others think/have experienced. Thanks in advance.

Dewey

Re: Bedding in the rain?

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:00 am

They don’t mind the rain. In marshes and swamps bucks basically live in the water. I have seen them come out and shake off like a wet dog. Deer live out in the elements year round and don’t seek shelter from the weather unless it’s very hot for shade or frigid cold to find some warmer thermal areas or thick cover to block the wind.

Heavy rain and heavy snow I still see them bedding in relatively open areas above them but concentrate more on thick cover around them.

During times of heavy rain they sit pretty tight but as soon as it stops they will usually be on their feet especially if the weather was very prolonged.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Bedding in the rain?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:31 am

In the terrain I hunt they change, I also have no swamps. But in the ridges I roam, cloudy or rainy conditions there is no rising thermal so they bed low to catch the dropping thermal. In high winds, heavy rain and severe cold weather the seek the cover of the cedars
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”