Glassing w Binos and distance question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Glassing w Binos and distance question

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 am

Was glassing a field from an observation stand yesterday evening and saw a buck, estimated 9 pointer, the rack looked to be about just outside his ears....it was hard to tell how long his times were but looked like decent mass.

My question is if you see a rack from 150-200 yards using binoculars that looks like it might be a 130...is it likely the deer is going to be much bigger closer up or is likely to be just what I observed through the binos?

I am curious as this seemed to be about the further distance at which the binos are useful and low light conditions near dark and through brush.

What is anyone’s experience with this?

Thanks.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Glassing w Binos and distance question

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:38 am

I'm guessing that at 150-200 yards, you could probably see the rack with your naked eyes and then tried to zoom in and score it with a pair of 8x?

Gonna go with what you see in the binos to less as opposed to more. Only 1 way to find out for sure - put a sit on him and see if you want to send an arrow/bullet his way. Hopefully he is bigger than you expect.

I set myself up to shoot 100 to 250 yards, depending on the area - most of the time I can easily see a buck's rack with the naked eye at those ranges - shot an 8 a couple years back at 200 yds - he had a white rack and it was glowing in the morning sun - looked like a 120 in the 2 seconds I had to shoot ---- found a skinny racked 100-inch class buck with 14.5 inch spread at the end of the blood trail. Definite ground shrinkage there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”