1/28 Quick Scouting trip

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

1/28 Quick Scouting trip

Unread postby wappkid » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:04 am

I found a set of doe beds and 1 lone bed.There is a monster buck that hangs out around this barn. I think I am going to hang a stand here in a couple of weeks for next season.I found one tree that I think would work.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: 1/28 Quick Scouting trip

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:29 am

Nice! Neat find.
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:01 am

All of those trees around that barn are rubbed. There are really no great big rubs. Just a lot of small ones.With a lot of small rubbed broken small tree's. I have seen this buck. And If he is still alive he will probably go B/C this year. I will probably only be able to hunt him a couple of times without spooking him. There is really no way for me to slip in there at noon for a late afternoon hunt. I will probably have to catch him on a day to where he is getting to his bedding area late. I remember Dan talking about that in Hill Country Bucks.How does that work with the Moon Phase? The area marked on the map is exactly where the barn is located.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:30 am

Man that looks like a great bedding area by that old barn for a sly old buck! Good luck with him! Did you see any beds in that brush by the barn where it was all rubbed up??
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:36 am

Here is an aerial view of the property.Where else could he be bedding?

wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:39 am

I found where he has been bedding. But I don't think he has been there in there in the late season.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:42 am

where do you access from? sneaking up that creek and cutting across the field before the bend in the woods might be a way to get at him. good luck
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:16 am

Nice find! Keep at it.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:13 am

ImageImage
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:51 am

I will probably have to catch him on a day to where he is getting to his bedding area late. I remember Dan talking about that in Hill Country Bucks.How does that work with the Moon Phase?

You can buy a moon guide for about $10 from www.moonguide.com the 2011 ones should come out later this summer. When the moon phase says its an "A" or "B" morning with a peak time in the morning after sun up, thats the mornings to hunt the bed. Also, nights when it storms 1/2 the night heavy but its a calm morning, seems bucks get a late start because of the storm and run a little late getting back to bed. Otherwise just prior to rut they start getting back to bed later.
Most of the time, without the factors mentioned mature bucks get back to bed before daylight outside of the rut.
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:19 am

dan wrote:
I will probably have to catch him on a day to where he is getting to his bedding area late. I remember Dan talking about that in Hill Country Bucks.How does that work with the Moon Phase?

You can buy a moon guide for about $10 from http://www.moonguide.com the 2011 ones should come out later this summer. When the moon phase says its an "A" or "B" morning with a peak time in the morning after sun up, thats the mornings to hunt the bed. Also, nights when it storms 1/2 the night heavy but its a calm morning, seems bucks get a late start because of the storm and run a little late getting back to bed. Otherwise just prior to rut they start getting back to bed later.
Most of the time, without the factors mentioned mature bucks get back to bed before daylight outside of the rut.
Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”