determining the right wind for the stand

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

northeast beast

determining the right wind for the stand

Unread postby northeast beast » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 am

I'm hunting a cattail marsh and putting the finishing touches on my stand notes and spots for season. I forgot to get the wind direction for a few of my setups when I was in there prepping the locations. I'm now using my map to try and figure out the right wind for these locations. I'm mobile so it does not need to be perfect I can make adjustments when I get there. Anyone else do this and find it be be effective. I'm not convinced this is a good plan but Im not going back in there to just check the wind I will have to do it when I go hunt it.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: determining the right wind for the stand

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Yeah totally a great plan! I have to do that every single hunt in the hills anyways. At least youve learned a lesson from it as well. If you dont have milkweed a cotton ball can work. Just rip off small, then pieces. Another great thing about your plan is scouting fresh sign along the way. Way want to adjust a set anyways.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:43 pm

It never hurts dropping some milkweed on the walk in! The forecasts aren't always perfect.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:16 pm

I have been slightly off with my cardinal directions in the field before. For example thinking a land feature faces strait North when its actually NNW or NW. I like to make the decision in the field then double check everything online. So you should be just fine deciding via aerials. Like others said drop milkweed... sometimes you get a variation from what the wind is out in the open.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:07 am

tgreeno wrote:It never hurts dropping some milkweed on the walk in! The forecasts aren't always perfect.

I have never found a forecast that is accurate. I always have multiple stand locations for different winds and make the final decision when I get there.

Plus if it is public land I always have options. Sometimes I go in and there is someone else nearby and I have to adjust.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks for the feeback guys... I'm glad to know I'm not the only one standing in the crossroads for a few mins testing the wind and deciding where to hunt for the day
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:40 am

northeast beast wrote:Thanks for the feeback guys... I'm glad to know I'm not the only one standing in the crossroads for a few mins testing the wind and deciding where to hunt for the day

Keep in mind the wind by your truck, and the wind by your stand can be different. I look at my spot for opening day and any southerly wind will work. But what tree I'm in will be decided when I get close
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”