Marsh Pond

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Marsh Pond

Unread postby NorthStar » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:14 pm

I just got done speed scouting a public marsh near my house. First of all, how tiring was scouting a marsh in the summer?!? My legs almost gave out on me. Everything was so over grown that it was hard to make out deer trails in the tall grass and cattails. But where I noticed the most distinct trail was going into a very small pond (20ft x 60ft) just off a hard wood point where multiple trails come together on google maps. There is a small clump of trees right on the pond that would be good to hang a stand.

My question is, has anyone had luck hunting a small pond in a marsh? I realize that a marsh is full of water but this was the only standing water I could find on the property.

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Marsh Pond

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:38 pm

NorthStar wrote:I just got done speed scouting a public marsh near my house. First of all, how tiring was scouting a marsh in the summer?!? My legs almost gave out on me. Everything was so over grown that it was hard to make out deer trails in the tall grass and cattails. But where I noticed the most distinct trail was going into a very small pond (20ft x 60ft) just off a hard wood point where multiple trails come together on google maps. There is a small clump of trees right on the pond that would be good to hang a stand.

My question is, has anyone had luck hunting a small pond in a marsh? I realize that a marsh is full of water but this was the only standing water I could find on the property.

Its not a matter of how much water is on the property, more so it matters where it is at... I have seen guys on private move a watering hole 100 yards and go from nocturnal action to awesome daylight action. If there is bedding near that pond, and thick cover all around, yea, it could be good.
NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Marsh Pond

Unread postby NorthStar » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:14 am

dan wrote:
NorthStar wrote:I just got done speed scouting a public marsh near my house. First of all, how tiring was scouting a marsh in the summer?!? My legs almost gave out on me. Everything was so over grown that it was hard to make out deer trails in the tall grass and cattails. But where I noticed the most distinct trail was going into a very small pond (20ft x 60ft) just off a hard wood point where multiple trails come together on google maps. There is a small clump of trees right on the pond that would be good to hang a stand.

Its not a matter of how much water is on the property, more so it matters where it is at... I have seen guys on private move a watering hole 100 yards and go from nocturnal action to awesome daylight action. If there is bedding near that pond, and thick cover all around, yea, it could be good.

Thanks, Dan! I will give this spot a shot.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”