Cyber scouting trouble?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Cyber scouting trouble?

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 am

PAbowhunter wrote:Thanks guys! I was trying to view google earth from my phone. I will check it out on the computer later, hopefully get a better understanding of these aerials.
I'm possibly looking to hunt a big chunk of public out of state this year. It is a state Forrest with tons of activity. (People, bikes,dogs, etc.) I've hunted the area before and killed a few does but know there are big boys there too. It has three good sized swamps on it and I believe there will be some good deer hanging there. I do know of a nice 150+ that has been spotted a few times lately. I won't make it up till about mid to late October if I do. My thinking is the buck isn't deep at the moment based on where he has been seen but with pressure will be bedded deep in the swamps tough to get to. One thing is the area doesn't get much archery pressure so I'm wondering if they will retreat to swamps or not. Defiantly more during the shotgun season. Am I correct on this assumption? Like I said new to swamps, thanks again guys.

I'm in a low pressure area and still find the best sign of bigger deer in the swamps.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 am

Hey PAbowhunter, figuring out where bucks feel secure in flat, unchanging swamp terrain is very challenging! The same rules apply as with marsh hunting but the points and dry spots are not obvious with cyber scouting like they are with marsh habitat. Subtle clues are there however, if you know what to look for.

Here is a short video I put together a few years ago that shows some of the things I look for while searching for bucks in swamps. I originally made this in response to a couple questions I got from beast members via PM, I forgot I had this until something clicked as I read your opening post. I hope it is helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=VWyxXdPjItU
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:57 am

KLEMZ wrote:Hey PAbowhunter, figuring out where bucks feel secure in flat, unchanging swamp terrain is very challenging! The same rules apply as with marsh hunting but the points and dry spots are not obvious with cyber scouting like they are with marsh habitat. Subtle clues are there however, if you know what to look for.

Here is a short video I put together a few years ago that shows some of the things I look for while searching for bucks in swamps. I originally made this in response to a couple questions I got from beast members via PM, I forgot I had this until something clicked as I read your opening post. I hope it is helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=VWyxXdPjItU

Links not working.Says no video can be found.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:06 am

stash59 wrote:Links not working.Says no video can be found.

hopefully this works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_7_u0caOV8
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:58 pm

8-) :clap: :think:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
PAbowhunter

Unread postby PAbowhunter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:23 am

Great video KLEMZ. Thanks for sharing it, I found it very helpful.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:55 am

KLEMZ wrote:

hopefully this works

That was excellent Klemz. Thank you for making this.
PAbowhunter

Unread postby PAbowhunter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:26 pm

KLEMZ wrote:

hopefully this works

KLEMZ what ever came of those spots you scouted? Did you have any encounters or kills in there?
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:07 pm

That is a great video. Thanks for putting that together.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 pm

PAbowhunter wrote:KLEMZ what ever came of those spots you scouted? Did you have any encounters or kills in there?

No kills or even sightings at either spot. Probably 9 or 10 sits between the two spots over the last couple seasons, all early season. Most of these hunts were from the ground and a few hunts from scrub trees. All the hunts were very limited visibility and covering essentially one exit trail per hunt. Some of the hunts it was obvious he was in the area based on fresh tracks seen on the way in. Some of the hunts was just hoping he was there.

I will say that every single time I have gotten back to those spots while post season scouting, both areas have shown sign of heavy useage from mature bucks. I am learning that these type of areas are challenging to bowhunt. This year I am gonna do a couple hunts after hunter pressure ramps up. Also, I think I have a way to do an observation stand at one spot so maybe that will help me solve the riddle!? I don't run cams there.
PAbowhunter

Unread postby PAbowhunter » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:11 am

KLEMZ wrote:
PAbowhunter wrote:KLEMZ what ever came of those spots you scouted? Did you have any encounters or kills in there?

No kills or even sightings at either spot. Probably 9 or 10 sits between the two spots over the last couple seasons, all early season. Most of these hunts were from the ground and a few hunts from scrub trees. All the hunts were very limited visibility and covering essentially one exit trail per hunt. Some of the hunts it was obvious he was in the area based on fresh tracks seen on the way in. Some of the hunts was just hoping he was there.

I will say that every single time I have gotten back to those spots while post season scouting, both areas have shown sign of heavy useage from mature bucks. I am learning that these type of areas are challenging to bowhunt. This year I am gonna do a couple hunts after hunter pressure ramps up. Also, I think I have a way to do an observation stand at one spot so maybe that will help me solve the riddle!? I don't run cams there.

Good luck to you I hope you connect in there!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”