Trail Cams in the Cold?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PASwamper

Trail Cams in the Cold?

Unread postby PASwamper » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Anyone using trail cams now? I'm curious if I put em out if the battery will last at all in this cold weather?

Ack

Re: Trail Cams in the Cold?

Unread postby Ack » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:21 pm

They usually do not last as long when it's cold out....a lot depends on how much the camera the camera has to "work". For example, if most of your pics are at night and the camera has to power up the flash a lot, or if you are taking videos instead of stills, the batteries will not last as long. Also, burst shots or a quick delay setting will drain them pretty fast as well.

I just put mine out last week (with fresh batteries) over a carcass......going to check it here in a day or so to see how it's holding up. It's about 5º here right now, and from past experience I know that these super cold nights will drain the batteries quickly.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:00 am

Mine are still out. I last checked them New years and the batteries lasted about a month. I was pretty happy with that, it was a cold December.

I have Cuddeback Captures BTW
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:57 am

i have all mine out right now...the captures i will usually get 2 weeks for the battery life..but for the older cuddebacks ill only get 1 week! i go through batteries like i go through toilet paper! i need to buy stock in Duracell!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 am

I have 5 out right now as well... Scout Guards are sweet when it gets cold... AA lithium batteries will almost last all winter!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:45 am

My bushnell was out not that long ago, and it was still working fine. The batteries going dead quickly in the cold is because regular batteries lose their power when they are cold. Lithium batteries are not affected by temp, so if you have a camera that runs on AA batteries, use lithiums. If you cannot use lithiums in your camera, dont throw the batteries away when they go "dead" in the cold weather. Take them in the house, warm them up, and then see how much battery life you have. Ive had some that still had over 50% once they warmed up. Obviously you cant put them back out in the cold or they will go "dead" again, but save them for the summer!
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks for the tips. Can't use lithiums cause I need 6 D's for three cameras. I guess I'll put them out this weekend and if they die I'll see what the batteries like in the summer. Its been teens and twentys lately here, colder nights though. Didn't wanna kill the 6 D batteries for each digital. I too should buy stock!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”