Stand placement help

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dloat

Stand placement help

Unread postby Dloat » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:27 am

So ,I've scouted this place throughly and found a few beds out in the cattails(green dots), the yellow line is a heavily used deer trail and red line is hiking trail I can use for access(it might not be that deep into woods). I scouted it with the wind in the direction of the orange arrow the other week and kicked up whatever was bedded in the cattails(sounded like a stampede haha). There is an access to the beds around where the farthest west bed is but I had a trail cam there and after I kicked up the deer I checked it and they didn't access it that way, though in season they do sometimes as right at that entrance there were two fresh rubs last year. How would you guys hunt these beds? Thanks for looking.

https://imgur.com/a/10hln

GoInLight

Re: Stand placement help

Unread postby GoInLight » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:23 am

Is it possible to use that creek or drain to wade or float in? Could the bedded deer see you if you popped up out of there and walked to the wood line and then made your way down the trail closer to their bedding?
Dloat

Unread postby Dloat » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:50 am

GoInLight wrote:Is it possible to use that creek or drain to wade or float in? Could the bedded deer see you if you popped up out of there and walked to the wood line and then made your way down the trail closer to their bedding?

It would be rough all the brown is 8ft tall cattail/phragmites that are as thick as thieves. I can access the yellow trail from the woods higher up and walk down. Should of put in original post on what wind as I think it looks like I just want info for the wind I ran into the deer on, can't edit it.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:40 am

I would walk the hiking trail in from the west side, until I got roughly straight south of the western most bed. Then walk in strait north. You would be just off wind of all those beds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”