Scouting buck beds in late Summer

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wiz

Scouting buck beds in late Summer

Unread postby wiz » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:12 am

Just binge watched Hill Country Bedding, Marsh Bedding, and Swamp Bedding DVDs. The DVDs really got me thinking about finding big buck beds. Is it a good time now to go in and find big buck bedding areas during the late summer? Would it be a good idea to go in to a hill country point and scout it on a wrong wind day? For example, go into a east facing point on a day that the wind is from the west.

Scratchman

Re: Scouting buck beds in late Summer

Unread postby Scratchman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:24 am

To late for non invasive bed scouting. If you need the information just get it. Best to go on a bad wind, make lots of noise, act like a liberal trying to find an endangered racoon, or some thing. Just don't make them feel hunted. Get in and get out one or two disturbances .Go before a rain, that we be good to wash away scent.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee
carmmond

Unread postby carmmond » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:24 am

Scratchman wrote:To late for non invasive bed scouting. If you need the information just get it. Best to go on a bad wind, make lots of noise, act like a liberal trying to find an endangered racoon, or some thing.

:mrgreen: :clap:
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Scratchman wrote:To late for non invasive bed scouting. If you need the information just get it. Best to go on a bad wind, make lots of noise, act like a liberal trying to find an endangered racoon, or some thing. Just don't make them feel hunted. Get in and get out one or two disturbances .Go before a rain, that we be good to wash away scent.

I would agree that you should try and stay out of the beds as much as possible but you could try doing some speed scouting. I would use topos to identify the points that look promising and scout the areas around the point for sign without actually going out on the point itself. Look for trails, tracks, old rubs, heavy cover leading to the points, etc. I would still stay away from the leeward side points and do your scouting before a heavy rain. You could also glass or shine the feeding areas closest to these points and make some assumptions based on what you see. Hope this helps!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:58 am

wiz wrote:Just binge watched Hill Country Bedding, Marsh Bedding, and Swamp Bedding DVDs. The DVDs really got me thinking about finding big buck beds. Is it a good time now to go in and find big buck bedding areas during the late summer? Would it be a good idea to go in to a hill country point and scout it on a wrong wind day? For example, go into a east facing point on a day that the wind is from the west.

Perhaps it's just a typo but an east facing point would be setup for west wind bedding.

As for you question, is it public or private? If it is not a big piece of ground, there could only be 1 or 2 good bedding points on the property and I wouldn't want to mess with them. If it is a large piece of ground I wouldn't worry as much...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
wiz

Unread postby wiz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:09 pm

Public land. I plan on scouting points on days that the wind is not correct for bucks bedding on that particular point. Thanks, looking forward to see what I can find.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:46 pm

Nice to publicly acknowledge Dan.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:36 am

Yes, as PK says, You're gonna want to scout those east ridges/points on an east wind. So the buck are not there. Then you will hunt them on an west (prevailing) wind. With all the foliage it's harder finding bedding than in March, but it's still possible. Get in and get it all done in one trip. Find your bedding. Pick & prep your kill tree. Then don't go back until you hunt it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:07 am

even if you scout it on a wrong wind and hoping the buck is not there is asking for trouble. Your scent will linger and when the big guy comes thru he will know something is up and possibly re locate.

If it were me, I would do my cyber scouting, then the next time I would go in and kill him when it was season and wind was right. Hunt the evening and scout your way in based on cyber scouting intel. Done it many times and killed many doing this. have confidence you can pull it off and you will. good luck!
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:07 am

Jeff G wrote:even if you scout it on a wrong wind and hoping the buck is not there is asking for trouble. Your scent will linger and when the big guy comes thru he will know something is up and possibly re locate.

If it were me, I would do my cyber scouting, then the next time I would go in and kill him when it was season and wind was right. Hunt the evening and scout your way in based on cyber scouting intel. Done it many times and killed many doing this. have confidence you can pull it off and you will. good luck!

This is my plan for the entire season! Work picked up and I didn't get it done during spring, so I'm just going to do all my work from the comfort of my office. I have been cyber scouting public in my area and going in on foot to confirm bedding. I'm hit and miss, but it's really increasing my confidence and not mudddying up my hunting areas.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”