Southern scouting workshop

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GoInLight

Southern scouting workshop

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:55 am

I know it's a long way off, but we should get some guys together that are interested in a scouting trip near Bankhead or something. I'm sure theirs several Beast in the southeast region that we could learn from....... Something where no one is giving their spot away, just meeting up and learning from one another. Thoughts??

thwack16
500 Club

Re: Southern scouting workshop

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:12 am

I think getting together and hunting and camping a weekend has the potential to be just as good as a scouting trip with other beast members. The problem is that we're all probably fairly partial to our home territory and not buying non resident licenses.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:22 am

thwack16 wrote:I think getting together and hunting and camping a weekend has the potential to be just as good as a scouting trip with other beast members. The problem is that we're all probably fairly partial to our home territory and not buying non resident licenses.

I would buy the license but if others weren't willing, we could do a camping/ scouting trip. I mean just showing each other our mobile set up and how we use it or maybe looking at different sets and how we'd each set up and access. Sitting around a fire and looking at topos or aerials. I think it'd be fun and I'd like to put faces with the names on here and make friends that I feel comfortable calling up. I'd also like to do the same for others. I don't know just kinda seems like we could take it to the next level and all see more success.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:55 pm

A dan workshop would be excellent, but dan has been a real busy man lately, kinda doubt it will happen in the near future but if dan would allow my first thought to happen it might be a good way to get some workshops goin?
1-designate certian members to do scouting work shops for a region Its getting harder and harder for one guy to be everywhere in a season with the ever growing beast!
2- dan does workshops at home. People in the past have said its worth the drive, i know he has had people drive from kanas and many other places to his place ! I'm thinking about going to one sometime if theres not another one close sometime soon. ( i missed one by one year, i was sad)
3- try to get hooked up with local beast some will talk some wont but talking doesnt hurt no one! You could gain a freind or at least some knowledge!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:47 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:A dan workshop would be excellent, but dan has been a real busy man lately, kinda doubt it will happen in the near future but if dan would allow my first thought to happen it might be a good way to get some workshops goin?
1-designate certian members to do scouting work shops for a region Its getting harder and harder for one guy to be everywhere in a season with the ever growing beast!
2- dan does workshops at home. People in the past have said its worth the drive, i know he has had people drive from kanas and many other places to his place ! I'm thinking about going to one sometime if theres not another one close sometime soon. ( i missed one by one year, i was sad)
3- try to get hooked up with local beast some will talk some wont but talking doesnt hurt no one! You could gain a freind or at least some knowledge!

Yes sir I agree a Dan workshop would be awesome!! I can only imagine how busy he is too. I plan on going to any scouts he puts on no matter where. I listened to a podcast of a guy that lives in Louisiana. He seemed like a really good guy and he's on the Beast. I think I'll dig that one up and give him a shout. I'd love to see several guys get together though, we just need someone with more experience than me to head it up. I think everyone just has limited time and then there's always the fear that some yahoo just wants a free ride. Thanks for taking time to respond, I'm gonna take the advice!
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:44 am

I highly encourage you to go to one of the SE WI workshops. Viewing set ups and conversation is well worth the long drive you may encounter. We will hold a couple SE WI ones, and we will hold one on my SE MN farm (hill country) as well. We will let you know when they will take place.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:27 am

Jeff G wrote:I highly encourage you to go to one of the SE WI workshops. Viewing set ups and conversation is well worth the long drive you may encounter. We will hold a couple SE WI ones, and we will hold one on my SE MN farm (hill country) as well. We will let you know when they will take place.

I'm there brother, just let me know. Thank you!!
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:15 am

Where is Bankhead? I am from Florida which is still different than any other state I've ever Hunted. I would love to have one here but I don't think anybody that's not from Florida would get much benefit from it
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:42 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:Where is Bankhead? I am from Florida which is still different than any other state I've ever Hunted. I would love to have one here but I don't think anybody that's not from Florida would get much benefit from it

Bankhead i think is in northern Alabama. Yes there may be some diffrences in deep south swamps, hunting wise, but i do believe the tactics are the same for mature bucks. Dans swamp dvd is the bomb for learning swamps. Before i scouted the swamps here in ky, there more like sloughs, that the hunting would be diffrent, to my findings after sevral scouting trips the basics hold true! I have talked to a beast member that lives and hunts there, im sure he will agree as well as well as others that it basically the same style, thats why they are on here!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 am

Bankhead is in Alabama, I just threw that out there as a place that might be close to some folks.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:04 am

I know a couple years ago he did a workshop at lbl for hill country, now we just need a timber swamp workshop like we have down here. If everything works out this winter maybe me and UofLbowhunter can get swamps figured out. :D
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:46 pm

blizzardhunter wrote:I know a couple years ago he did a workshop at lbl for hill country, now we just need a timber swamp workshop like we have down here. If everything works out this winter maybe me and UofLbowhunter can get swamps figured out. :D

Hope y'all kill em,man. Good luck!
WVFrid

Unread postby WVFrid » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:38 am

I would definitely be up for a southern workshop, as well as a beast meet up and scout. Hate I missed everybody at LBL but that was about the time I moved to central KY and had a Lot going on at that time.

I hunt mostly public hill country but really want to start hunting and learning swamps and marshes.

Rob
BamaLonewolf24!

Unread postby BamaLonewolf24! » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 am

WVFrid wrote:I would definitely be up for a southern workshop, as well as a beast meet up and scout. Hate I missed everybody at LBL but that was about the time I moved to central KY and had a Lot going on at that time.

I hunt mostly public hill country but really want to start hunting and learning swamps and marshes.

Rob

I live in Alabama and Bankhead is the best public land in the state for big bucks. There was 5 that came out of there this past year that went over 150. It's a good place for mature bucks with over 90,000 acrs there is plenty of room for the bucks to grow.
BamaLonewolf24!

Unread postby BamaLonewolf24! » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:02 am

GoInLight wrote:I know it's a long way off, but we should get some guys together that are interested in a scouting trip near Bankhead or something. I'm sure theirs several Beast in the southeast region that we could learn from....... Something where no one is giving their spot away, just meeting up and learning from one another. Thoughts??

I live in Alabama and Bankhead is the best place in the state to kill big mature bucks with over 90,000 acrs there is plenty of room for them to grow. I would come down for a workshop. I live about a hour from Bankhead.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”