New Ground

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

New Ground

Unread postby SidewayZ » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 pm

I did some quick preliminary scouting of a marsh I have been wanting to hunt. I found a great hard trail with nice size tracks leading into this area.

My question is, is it too late to go in and stink it up?

I am thinking of going anyways, but would like some opinions so i dont blow an opportunity. My thinking is that I should find out whats in there and also look for other entry/exit points.

Or maybe stay on perimter with a couple trail cams?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
IkemanTx
500 Club

Re: New Ground

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:07 pm

When you lack intel... get intel.

I think you are good this time of year. There's still 2.5 months until season, so all but the spookiest bucks will settle back down. I would make it a single excursion though, to reduce the impact. And, if you have rain in the forecast, you might try to time it while it's raining.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Scratchman

Re: New Ground

Unread postby Scratchman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:12 am

I agree, get the intel........this year the beast method is new to me. We will see if I can make it happen as such. I was scouting all year, just not for beds really, until about may. Im a high school teacher and may June got busy, and the foliage busted out so that kind of killed prime time bed hunting. As is now, I have 15 or 20 spots (10 good ones) to kill deer. Which it should be said, in VT killing deer is not always a given. This year they will be my backup, go too when the weather isn't working for other spots, spots..............so I have been hunting out bedding, with little regard to blowing them out for the year. I'm making single excursions and leaving camera for about a week, swinging in quick and grabbing the cam and not swapping cards. I have done this for 5 areas so far, and have got results. I have found 2 really nice bucks the caliber of which I have been seeking......Im not sure if Ive really messed anything up. Really I have more intel than ever before. I have my dozen good deer killing spots(my wife DOES NOT let me hunt with bringing home the meat often), new killing spots from new properties (mostly public), and deer beds that I will hunt. Long story short I feel that I am wayyyyyy better off than I was last year at this time. No excuses, get the intel, you can split hairs on tactics later.
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”