Terrain terms ??

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Terrain terms ??

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:41 pm

I have seen a few different terms used lately and wasn't sure what these were exactly:

1). What is a transition area? I know a transition line or just plain transition.

2) What is a thermal hub?

3). What is a cutover? Same as a clear cut?

If anyone wants to add on by all means.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
PK_
500 Club

Re: Terrain terms ??

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:05 pm

In regards to terrain; Transition area = transition line = transition = edge.

In regards to deer movement transition area could also mean the area a deer travels between bed and food.

Cutover = clearcut

I can't even figure out how to describe thermal hub in a way that would make sense... basically where several cuts in hill country all dump into the same area. Falling thermals will travel down each drainage (cut/hollow/ravine/drainage are all interchangeable terms) into the 'hub'.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:32 pm

PK_ wrote:In regards to terrain; Transition area = transition line = transition = edge.

In regards to deer movement transition area could also mean the area a deer travels between bed and food.

Cutover = clearcut

I can't even figure out how to describe thermal hub in a way that would make sense... basically where several cuts in hill country all dump into the same area. Falling thermals will travel down each drainage (cut/hollow/ravine/drainage are all interchangeable terms) into the 'hub'.

Thanks, that is what I thought about each but want 100% sure.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:02 pm

This may help with some answers. It sucks some of the pics are dead.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19217&hilit=thermal+hub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:15 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:25 am

Another one you will hear is "thermal tunnel"

That is different from a thermal hub. It is when a prevailing wind goes over a ridge and swirls on the leeward side while, at the same time, thermals rise up the hillside on the leeward side and meet the swirl from the prevailing wind. It is a small little elevation on the hillside where a buck can smell from both above and below his location.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”