Mock scrapes near pre scouted bedding?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

Mock scrapes near pre scouted bedding?

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:07 pm

My buddies have tried to turn me onto this new product "windpro"

https://youtu.be/1wAbdSEF17c

What do you guys think of this? If you take the time to scout out buck bedding you shouldn't need products like this but could it help? Could it draw the attention of a nearby bedded buck? I can tell just from this video that like any other mock scrape scent, most bucks on the video are still nocturnally using it (midnight and 2am for instance). They advertise it that you can make a mock scrape anywhere and have success and i know thats not true but what if you use it near a known bedding area? I feel like it could help your odds. Could...

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Mock scrapes near pre scouted bedding?

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 pm

No Thanks!

Hunt the bed, play the wind & kill the buck.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:47 pm

If mock scrapes are your thing, I don't feel u need any special product to make it work. Fresh kicked up dirt that can be seen and a overhanging branch is all that's needed. Close to the bedroom if u want any chance of daylight pics. As far as attracting them goes, don't think I have ever attracted a buck to an area with one, just got bucks who were already using the area to slow down and investigate. Just my 2 cents...
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:50 pm

Do a search on here for licking branch - you don't need to worry about the ground part - the deer may or may not do that.

Smokey's pre-orbital seems to be the better scent to apply.

I tried a competitor's brand - did a branch last year and came back 2 months later to a scrape there. I did that location cause I wanted to be able to see it from my stand but there were no camera trees close-by.
Did another branch (over a scrape) and had a 2.5 yr old buck check it the next evening right at dark.

Had success with it 2 out of 5 tries.
blueKYstream

Unread postby blueKYstream » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:06 am

I thought the video was interesting for a couple reasons. First, it shows that bucks didn't go to most of those scrapes until dark. Why? Well, most were set up along fields. I've seen where Dan talked about Primary and Secondary scrapes. Primary scrapes are typically near buck bedding if I recall correctly. Well, if you go set one of these up near bedding, you've essentially hunted it once (thus decreasing your odds if/when you do hunt it). If it's secondary and they visit at night, it's not probably not going to kill a buck for you under most situations. It seems like this might be a fine idea for inventorying bucks though. Maybe you have a buck on camera somewhere else. Catching him on camera in a different location helps you identify travel to some extent. It might help determine where deer are coming from even if it's the only spot you have a picture of a particular buck ( and possibly help identify which bed/beds to hunt).

It just depends on what your goals are I suppose.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:41 am

Buck inventory is what I'm interested in trying it for. Nothing else. A big confidence boost. For use in big pieces of public that i don't have time to scout for bedding.

We've established on the beast its ok to use trail cameras over piles of corn in areas that are away from bedding to try and get pictures of bucks. Never hang a camera bear bedding.

So for me, here in PA in a CWD area. The only attractant i can legally use is synthetic scents like this. Getting a nice buck on camera would give me the confidence to scout hard and find his bedding.

I can find bedding, I've done it several times now as a new beast hunter by cyber scouting and boots on ground. and its not easy. But with this, instead of scouting and scouting and scouting. Perhaps a nice picture of a buck would give me the confidence to scout that one area hard for bedding and maybe ignore another area that has just scrub bucks on camera.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:09 am

rfickes87 wrote:Buck inventory is what I'm interested in trying it for. Nothing else. A big confidence boost. For use in big pieces of public that i don't have time to scout for bedding.

We've established on the beast its ok to use trail cameras over piles of corn in areas that are away from bedding to try and get pictures of bucks. Never hang a camera bear bedding.

So for me, here in PA in a CWD area. The only attractant i can legally use is synthetic scents like this. Getting a nice buck on camera would give me the confidence to scout hard and find his bedding.

I can find bedding, I've done it several times now as a new beast hunter by cyber scouting and boots on ground. and its not easy. But with this, instead of scouting and scouting and scouting. Perhaps a nice picture of a buck would give me the confidence to scout that one area hard for bedding and maybe ignore another area that has just scrub bucks on camera.

it'll definitely work for that. I used the windPro product last two years and it did get me trail cam footage. It was always around midnight, but they came to it. I'm kinda leary about putting it closer to beds, I just think they will smell me on the trail or whatever and if it's too close it'll be starting over. If you do it, post results I'd love to see data on this.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:05 pm

If your intent is to just see what's on the menu and don't care if they are night pics. I've got a lot of pics by just buying some cheap vanilla extract in the baking section, pour it in a spray bottle delute it with water and spray leaves on field edge.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Killemquietly wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:Buck inventory is what I'm interested in trying it for. Nothing else. A big confidence boost. For use in big pieces of public that i don't have time to scout for bedding.

it'll definitely work for that. I used the windPro product last two years and it did get me trail cam footage. It was always around midnight, but they came to it. I'm kinda leary about putting it closer to beds, I just think they will smell me on the trail or whatever and if it's too close it'll be starting over. If you do it, post results I'd love to see data on this.

I agree, thanks for the comment. Yeah ill post back what i get on camera and more importantly where i sought out the bedding afterwards.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”