Snakes while scouting.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Snakes while scouting.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 am

I have been noticing a snake or multiple about every 3rd scouting trip.

Few weeks ago walked next to a cottonmouth. Last Tuesday i ran into a black racer and a timber rattler.

Ran into 6 snakes so far this year scouting.

Have you guys ran into alot of them lately scouting?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
thwack16
500 Club

Re: Snakes while scouting.

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:24 am

Yes, they've been worse this year. Have seen quite a few. Almost stepped on a cottonmouth a few evenings ago.

Both my grandads are seeing more on the farms than usual as well.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:33 am

Strange I've have seen less snakes this year than any other year I can recall. And that includes water snakes. Don't know but y'all can keep em no luv lost for me
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
rthunter

Unread postby rthunter » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Have not seen more or less so far - but for piece of mind I dont go into the woods without my snake boots. Cabelas makes a great pair and are guaranteed for life - already replaced one pair for me after 5 years of hard use in the woods and yard. Hope this helps!
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:53 pm

I've seen on the news there has been a rise in snake bites the last few years. Several in western ky already this yr.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:21 pm

We've killed a few moccassins on the property so far this year but that is par for the course. I'm suprised when I don't see a moccassin or pygmy rattler when summer scouting in FL. Snakeboots are a must for me. I run the Irish setter Vaprtreks most comfortable snakeboot I have ever put on, but they are pricey I think I paid $218 for mine. I've had several bites over the years and all of my snakeboots have done there job. I've had rocky's, redheads, Laccross, and irish setters.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:07 am

Tufrthnails wrote:We've killed a few moccassins on the property so far this year but that is par for the course. I'm suprised when I don't see a moccassin or pygmy rattler when summer scouting in FL. Snakeboots are a must for me. I run the Irish setter Vaprtreks most comfortable snakeboot I have ever put on, but they are pricey I think I paid $218 for mine. I've had several bites over the years and all of my snakeboots have done there job. I've had rocky's, redheads, Laccross, and irish setters.

I use irish setter vaportechs also the price hurts but so worth it. I have been lucky to not be struck at this year. I saw a dead pigmy rattler last week driving in car never ran into a pigmy in the woods.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:15 am

I haven't seen any snakes this year scouting, supposedly the only venomous snakes we have are northern cooperheads but I have never seen one.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:17 am

Jhand wrote:I haven't seen any snakes this year scouting, supposedly the only venomous snakes we have are northern cooperheads but I have never seen one.

Lucky guy, but I'm assuming that comes with a lot of that white stuff that makes me cold and you can keep that!!!
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 am

Tufrthnails wrote:
Jhand wrote:I haven't seen any snakes this year scouting, supposedly the only venomous snakes we have are northern cooperheads but I have never seen one.

Lucky guy, but I'm assuming that comes with a lot of that white stuff that makes me cold and you can keep that!!!

Im from Delaware.We don't really get a whole lot of snow, maybe one big storm a year and a few smaller ones. But it does get cold.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:45 am

blizzardhunter wrote:I've seen on the news there has been a rise in snake bites the last few years. Several in western ky already this yr.

Post that a few more times and on a few more forums, western ky public lands may receive a little less pressure on Labor Day weekend than usual! ;)
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:21 am

thwack16 wrote:
blizzardhunter wrote:I've seen on the news there has been a rise in snake bites the last few years. Several in western ky already this yr.

Post that a few more times and on a few more forums, western ky public lands may receive a little less pressure on Labor Day weekend than usual! ;)

LOL one of these years I'm gonna get up there for opening weekend, but it ain't gonna be this year. Trying to get an Oct trip and a Nov trip together for this year. I did Nov and Jan two years ago and swore KY off in Jan I don't have the gear for that cold stuff.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:41 am

I always hear guys talk about snakeboots but has anyone ever had a snake bite through a pair of muck boots? That's a lot of fang to hit through muck boots neoprene, a pair of carhart pants and a pair of socks. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking but wouldn't it take a big snake to land a strike above your knee? I've heard about moccasins lunging at hunters from cypress trees at chest height, or dropping into fishing boats. Who knows maybe the moccasins were just startled. Either way, snake boots wouldn't help there.

The moccasins and the very rare copperheads I've come across hold their ground. They are usually short and stumpy and do not have a large strike range. Most of the non poisonous snakes are usually quick to take off. I stepped on a large brown water snake walking through an overgrown power line. I felt it wiggle under my foot and it took off maybe got lucky that day? When I see snakes I usually just walk around them. I think my chances of getting bitten are higher if I tried to kill them.

If I was out west in rattler county I might consider a pair of snake boots. Here in the swamps of west tn I feel comfortable going anywhere with my muck boots, a stick and my awareness. Thoughts?
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:07 am

I was hit by a coral and a rattler in the same year. Both times I was wearing snake boots.

Even big snakes almost always strike at the foot/ankle area.

I haven't seen many snakes the last few years though. Also haven't been wearing the snake boots because they need to be re-waterproofed.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:10 am

thwack16 wrote:

That's funny.

When I was researching KY public, I could not get through a single thread about an area without someone warning about snakes, ticks or druggies. I actually started to think it was some sort of prank...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”