Snakes while scouting.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Snakes while scouting.

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Twenty Up wrote:The snakes for the most part want to get away from you just as you do them. For the most part we give them space and go our separate ways, but every now and then you get stubborn ones that hold their ground...

I'd take snakes over skeeters, ticks and chiggers any day.

Every now and then would be way too much! Also, I'd give a snake all the space it wants! IF I see it first! The main issue I have is they are just too easy to not see until it's too late. I've had them crawl across my foot while bank fishing. Somehow I didn't freak out but thinking about it now I do. Call me a wussy or whatever you want but if I had to contend with snakes like some of you guys I just wouldn't hunt that area. I'd hunt out of state if I had to. And I lived in south Florida where all those pythons are I believe I'd be carrying a flame thrower.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:41 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:The snakes for the most part want to get away from you just as you do them. For the most part we give them space and go our separate ways, but every now and then you get stubborn ones that hold their ground...

I'd take snakes over skeeters, ticks and chiggers any day.

Every now and then would be way too much! Also, I'd give a snake all the space it wants! IF I see it first! The main issue I have is they are just too easy to not see until it's too late. I've had them crawl across my foot while bank fishing. Somehow I didn't freak out but thinking about it now I do. Call me a wussy or whatever you want but if I had to contend with snakes like some of you guys I just wouldn't hunt that area. I'd hunt out of state if I had to. And I lived in south Florida where all those pythons are I believe I'd be carrying a flame thrower.

Don't get me wrong I've had a couple pansy moment myself, one was crawling through a privet hedge thicket (hands & knees) and coming nose to tongue with a garter snake or ribbon snake.. didn't stay long enough to figure it out because it caught me off guard and I was out of there!

I've always enjoyed reptiles and owned several snakes/lizards as a child, but I still get the chills when I walk up on venomous snakes. Couldn't imagine stumbling across a 10'+ python though... them Florida boys ain't right to begin with though ;)
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:38 pm

BA-IV wrote:This is by far the biggest cottonmouth I've ever ran across. I was sure tempted to find a stick and kill him and then either skin him or mount him, BUT he held his ground alil to aggressively and I didn't have a big enough stick :shock:

:o scary I hate snakes no matter how many I see they still freak me out.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:36 pm

BA-IV wrote:This is by far the biggest cottonmouth I've ever ran across. I was sure tempted to find a stick and kill him and then either skin him or mount him, BUT he held his ground alil to aggressively and I didn't have a big enough stick :shock:

Cottonmouths seem to hold their ground well. That's the worst part about them. What state you in.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:02 am

blizzardhunter wrote:

Cottonmouths seem to hold their ground well. That's the worst part about them. What state you in.

Louisiana
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:38 pm

That's a trophy for sure. I'd say a mature cottonmouth. You should have took him :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:13 am

Southern Man wrote:

That's a trophy for sure. I'd say a mature cottonmouth. You should have took him :mrgreen:

It was on a lease right beside a river which was flooded at the time, water on both sides. Not a gun in the truck which is highly unusual, and I wasn't stomping around in knee deep water looking for a stick :lol: I think a big ol cotton mouth would be a cool mount, probably alil creepy at night til you got use to it, but I ain't seen many of them mounts around!
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:30 am

how would you kill that withouht mashing its head in to get a good mount?
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:38 pm

BA-IV wrote:
Southern Man wrote:

It was on a lease right beside a river which was flooded at the time, water on both sides. Not a gun in the truck which is highly unusual, and I wasn't stomping around in knee deep water looking for a stick :lol: I think a big ol cotton mouth would be a cool mount, probably alil creepy at night til you got use to it, but I ain't seen many of them mounts around!

Don't blame you at all for not poking around for a stick. I have seen a couple mounts though, a cottonmouth and a rattlesnake. And yea pretty creepy, the cottonmouth was a bit more creepy than the rattlesnake.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Hatchet Jack wrote:how would you kill that withouht mashing its head in to get a good mount?

I was actually joking but have seen a couple mounted. It seems to me about the only way to get it without damage would be to catch it and drown it. And that won't happen with me LOL. If I had one mounted, it would be in 2 pieces or it wouldn't have a head :roll:
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:38 pm

We got cotton mouths and copper heads that big in ky. I promise :? Bigger ones too :shock: Being in stiking distance of one in tall grass that size is a scary feeling!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”