Snakes while scouting.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Re: Snakes while scouting.

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:55 am

You know, I seem to remember warning everyone about this. But nooooo, what do I know I just live here. On a side note, we have started a go fund me page for UofL to get some snake boots and a new pair of underwear. :lol:

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:09 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:If im lying, may i fall over dead now, whitch i almost did this morning. I was scouting a big creek bottom, due to the fact we had a big cold front role through Friday. Any way, i was following a creek that lead past a swamp that has a island i want to look at, the sign was getting right for a bed, find fresh scat i stated looking hard. I eye balled a wollerd place in some tall grass and eased over to it at the edge i spot an odd looking shape in the grass edge. I kid you not it was the biggest copper head i have laid my eye on :shock: (sorry taking a pic was the last thing on my mind) 3' long and the biggest stubby body i had ever seen. My first thought was a python, really, i bet his side hieght was as tall as a doubled up fist, and his head was just as big. His dam brown striped eye where about the size of your thumb nail. I just freaked, all i could think was smack the out of him and run!! So i smacked him with my walking stick and hauled it out of there!! I know he jumped two foot. He didnt have full belly either cause i think took off as fast as i did the other way!! And to top that i took off so fast and didnt worry about where i was goin and ran through the swamp water some and had a cotton mouth take off on the route i was shaggin down :shock: :shock: thank god he was scouting away cause i wasnt about to stop!! I have seen several big poisions snakes around the bottoms i grew up in but nothing that ever really bothered me, but that one tore me up, it was unreal!! So think twice about kentucky swamps in the early season. I see good ones here!!

Before I made my first trip into that swamp, all I heard about was the snakes there. I thought it was a bunch of talk. When I finally found out how to get there, several of us piled in the car and went. We walked a bunch of it and seen only 1 snake, a small water snake caught in a box trap. Near the parking area was an old boat. Someone had shot holes in the bottom and we plugged them with sticks and got out on the water. All we had was some long sticks to push us around. Again, all we seen was 1 snake, a small water snake. I thought yea all the talk was a bunch of crap. I swear the next week I was watching KY afield on KET. They did a show on that swamp and a guy that was doing a study on cottonmouths. He was paddling around in a 10' canoe. The snakes were everywhere. Huge snakes. The amount of cottonmouths was unreal. It sent chills down my spine. I've hunted down there twice in the past. Big deer there. I won't go in there until cold weather.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:20 am

And on a side note...... When Blizzard told me you were down there this morning, I thought you were nuts! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:46 am

Southern Man wrote:And on a side note...... When Blizzard told me you were down there this morning, I thought you were nuts! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ya i told myself i was goin to stay out of the swamps till hunting season! That was just a reminder of why i wanted to stay out!!

I wish i would have got a pick or killed it. It would be something to see!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:23 pm

I don't mind them unless they suprise me. Sure enough while out scouting today a giant black snake tore off from under my boot. Cripes!!!! :snooty:

Seen 3 bucks though. One was 110 and the other about 120. :dance: very happy with that
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:05 pm

rfickes87 wrote:I don't mind them unless they suprise me. Sure enough while out scouting today a giant black snake tore off from under my boot. Cripes!!!! :snooty:

Seen 3 bucks though. One was 110 and the other about 120. :dance: very happy with that

Have you ever run into Rattlesnakes in PA? I'm not scared or anything.... just asking for a friend :lol: :lol:
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:05 pm

I wonder if deer get bitten and killed by snakes.

Personally, I would not hunt an area where I saw more than a couple snakes. I can't stand them...just too sneaky for me. Snakes, ticks and spiders, ugh.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Billyjack

Unread postby Billyjack » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:43 pm

I definitely have to get me some good snake boots, or chaps. The older I get the more realize I'm not bullet proof.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:47 pm

DeerDylan wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:I don't mind them unless they suprise me. Sure enough while out scouting today a giant black snake tore off from under my boot. Cripes!!!! :snooty:

Have you ever run into Rattlesnakes in PA? I'm not scared or anything.... just asking for a friend :lol: :lol:

I run into Timber Rattlers quite regularly in the Central PA mountains. They tend to stick to a certain type of habitat (high elevation, rocky, fairly open, scrub huckleberries/blueberries), so they are not hard to find if you know where to look. Once in a while I'll run into one where I am not expecting, that's when they get to me a bit. Just another reason I don't scout this time of year, I am constantly looking down while walking.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:03 am

DeerDylan wrote:

No, but its always on my mind that one is around. I live in Bedford County. Never saw one in my life. A guy I work with from Somerset says he goes out in the mountains and catches them.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:48 am

mheichelbech wrote:I wonder if deer get bitten and killed by snakes.

Personally, I would not hunt an area where I saw more than a couple snakes. I can't stand them...just too sneaky for me. Snakes, ticks and spiders, ugh.

I'd be hard pressed to find much hunting land in FL if that was my rule!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 am

When scouting I tend to walk with a heavy foot through areas I suspect they might be. When I do that best I get is fleeing glances of them getting away from me. Occasionally I get surprised by one, but in every instance they are trying to get the heck away from me. I don't really like them, but as long as they hold up their end of the bargain I can tolerate them. Rattlesnakes in the areas I am in are few and far between. Copperheads are way more common. Having said that, giant 3-4 ft long black snakes seem to be the most common ones I see.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:26 am

I was checking a buck bedding area last week and was standing in oaks. I felt a snake under my feet I never saw it below the leaves.

Most of the snakes I see are black racers or kingsnakes. Every once in awhile I run into others. The Timber Rattlesnake population here is growing as a kid I never saw one. Now I've seen 3 in the last 2 years.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:42 pm

When I was a kid LBL didn't have rattlesnakes. Then some genius from the forestry department decided it would be a good idea to reintroduce them since they're native to the area. Now they are everywhere.
On a side note, I talked to the conservation officer over the swamp UofL was at yesterday. The first thing he told me was to be extremely careful, it's loaded with cottonmouths. :lol:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Poisonous snakes have no purpose other then harming humans.I think a lot of biologists are mentally unstable when they reintroduce dangerous animals.

If forestry really cared about saving lives of hunters and family's enjoying nature they would put out non poisonous snakes to kill rodents and get rid of as many poisonous snakes as possible.

I look at it by killing a poisonous snake I may be saving some hunters or family members life.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”