Distance Between Beds?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ODH
500 Club

Distance Between Beds?

Unread postby ODH » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:33 am

Hunting an old beaver pond where the dam broke 2 years ago. Found a series of large beds on the southwest side (classic spot with tall rubs). Given terrain, vegetation, and remaining water this is a well defended spot. It seems to me these beds are used on S and W winds. I can't find similar beds for the N and NW winds Questions are: how far away will bucks typically travel for their other good bedding spots? Given no beds were found around the pond for those winds, could he be far away? Or is it more likely he beds close to here I just haven’t found it? Let’s assume this is an older buck, king of the hill.

Image[

More detail: The green line from the top is landowner access and his walking/atv trail (so as I expected I didn’t see any bedding along there). The blue line is a heavy deer trail connecting a steep north facing ridge (doe bedding) to an old food plot east of the pond (I will likely bring that back to life this year). The east side along the pond is fairly thick, especially where labeled. Winds are predominantly from the West. Pond is 500 yards end to end. There is a north/south ridge 200 yards to the west but it’s open hardwood. I found some beds along it. He could be up there but nothing which screams N/NW winds, more for W. Last year the pond area did not grow up tall for cover (however I’m hoping this year it does). Property has a long history of mature deer traffic (supported with pics).

Thanks all thoughts welcome

KLEMZ

Re: Distance Between Beds?

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:35 am

From my experience, I would say he is bedding the odd winds around that beaver pond but they are being missed by you because they are less obvious beds. I certainly could be wrong but I can assure you that I have walked right through mature buck bedding without realizing it until I went back and looked again after I had more experience identifying beds.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:07 am

Where is the next best bedding area? He may be running a rotation. I would expect in an area that size there would be a few good bedding spots. I am drawn to a couple areas. The point where the heavy deer trail is on the south side. He could easily keep tabs on the human trail. The 2nd would be the pines down in the west corner.

I would scout it out really good n run a couple hunts on what you feel are the best spots. Learn it. I wouldn't run a ton of hunts on it. I would looks for the next closest bedding area. If it's a large enough parcel there could be 4 or 5 in a mile or 2 area.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 am

One other thing. Where the blue line ends looks very interesting to me also. If that is a swampy pot hole I would look at the mature trees and brush high spots in that for beds.

I'd scout the point off the area that says thick too...looks bucky
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks guys. I do plan to cover it thoroughly in season. Worst case I'll just start with SW winds and the known beds.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:01 pm

He could also be using the beds you found on the off winds. In a preferred spot some times the wind will only dictate what direction the buck faces
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:23 pm

that's a fair point
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:52 pm

If the beds are easy to see you should be able to see the curve of the body and tell which way he is facing. Some beds would be turned different if they are for different winds. Also if it's a big wore out spot it's a sign he is facing different directions when using the bed.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:59 pm

yeah there's one against a log and one beside a tree both look like S + W beds but the one on the point is more of a big circle like you said
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:19 pm

I would say he is bedding that spot on North winds as well.. He is probably got a spot or two around the pond for East winds too, just not exactly in those beds.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:13 pm

thanks again

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”