How are these tracks made??

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SouthernHunter

How are these tracks made??

Unread postby SouthernHunter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:38 pm

I’d like to pick the brains of some of the experienced hunters and trackers here. Below are four pictures of two types of deer tracks I see regularly. I'm not sure as to how their made, but I do have some theories. I'd like to hear everyone's input.

Two pictures of the 1rst track type.

ImageImage
I see this type of track a lot, most of the time with running tracks. Though the tracks in the two pics look a little different, I believe
they may both be made from the same or a similar action.

Here’s my theories: The step a deer makes, when pushing off, to got into a run or bound.
Or maybe the opposite. The steps made when slowing down or coming to a stop.

Two pictures of the 2nd track type.
ImageImage

Another common track associated with running. The first or left picture shows the track that lightly registered just showing the tips of the hooves. The second or right picture shows a heavier register probably made in softer soil.

My theories: I believe this track comes from the rear hoof and is made when slowing or stopping from a run or bound.

Well, what do you guys think?? Any ideas or theories??

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: How are these tracks made??

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Interesting topic! I think the first pair of photos is from fast walking/trotting deer. Also cracking is on the left side of each hoof which suggests it is turning to the left. The photo to the right does not have overlapping print of hind foot on front foot but the photo to the right does.

I think the second pair is from running deer, probably speeding up. They usually dig in with their toes more when speeding up. The splaying in hard ground is an indication too. I would mention the one on the left is a lot more weathered, it looks shallower like you say but I suspect that's just due to weathering a few days, maybe a light rain.

Were they all on flat ground? That makes a big difference.

Did you look at the series of prints, can tell speed by the gait of the deer? Walking deer overlap hind on front track with short stride, shorter or the same as a man's. Trotting deer overlap hind on front with long stride usually longer than a man's - depends on deer size. Running of course goes sets of four, four, four between bounds.

Regardless kudos for studying those tracks!
SouthernHunter

Unread postby SouthernHunter » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks for the input.

JoeRE wrote:Were they all on flat ground? That makes a big difference.

Yes, all flat ground. The tracks do vary in age from pic to pic, just the best I could come up with.

JoeRE wrote:Did you look at the series of prints, can tell speed by the gait of the deer?

No. Hard to find more than a few tracks in series. This area is similar to what you would call "big woods".
Tracks are not easy to come by.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:04 am

Ok, BTW I had a typo in my last post. Meant to say cracking is on the RIGHT side of each individual hoof in the first set so the deer is turning to the RIGHT. It pushes material off to the left as the hoof twists which causes the ground to spread and crack like that. So I would agree with you that the deer is pushing off/turning. The cracking on one side definitely shows direction change I think.

I remember Tom Brown Jr recommending a person who wants to study tracks should build a sandbox and walk thru it in different ways, then study the tracks. He got to the point where he could tell his own mood by his tracks - at least that's what he says. I have not done that but its a cool idea. Magic posted about when a buck is tired it changes he walks 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:09 am

Very interesting. Don't have any input to add but just wanted to say that I have always been fascinated with deer tracks and the stories they tell. Great info. 8-)
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:37 am

Dewey wrote:Very interesting. Don't have any input to add but just wanted to say that I have always been fascinated with deer tracks and the stories they tell. Great info. 8-)

Ditto. I have to admit as fascinated as I am by them I have not spent much time learning other then studying the tracks I cut in the woods/ swamp.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:56 am

I am a novice track reader. Though track size is one way I'm trying to locate mature bucks in my areas. I'm trying to learn as I go. I only have a few trail cameras, so I use track size in many areas I'm scouting. I'm hoping it will pay off this season.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:03 am

Great intel!
Figure out a way that works for you, to keep these tracks on your phone or accessible. You seem to read the sign well so I think matching the buck track in other locations across the property is important, especially if you dont run cams much.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 am

How'd I know that Joe would be the first response? :lol:

It's interesting to me how little paying attention to tracks is preached in the mainstream hunting. Must not be much money in that.

The longer I hunt the more I pay attention to tracks. Good stuff Joe!
SouthernHunter

Unread postby SouthernHunter » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:51 am

I admit that studying tracks in this level of detail is a bit overkill for most hunters, in most cases. Being able to ID a mature buck track is the most important.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:47 pm

I'm not an expert, but I'll venture some ideas. Pic 1 has been rained on and partially filled in on the right hoof impression. Hard to tell if he was really running, or more of a canter. Fissures indicate some weight or impact. Any dew claws on these prints, just outside of the frame of the pic?

Pic 2 has the front hoof impression placed first and the rear hoof on top of it, if I'm reading it right. The front hoof is just left of the rear. So definitely a walking track. I may be wrong, but my understanding of the crest-crumble (broken area) on the right impression means the deer pushed himself to the left, digging in the right side of the hoof and causing the dirt to rise over a cave below it. When the hoof was lifted, the dirt collapsed over it into the track. Please someone let me know if that is not the way it works. I'm open to being corrected so I can really understand.

I always try to look for the other prints if it is a walking track. I do not know how to estimate deer size from running tracks.

Pics 3 and 4 are really interesting to me. My first guess was an injured deer, just placing the tips of the hoof down. I was hunting a deer with a prior broken leg last year, but I was never able to seal the deal. A series of prints would be helpful to rule that in or out.

My second idea for pics 3 and 4 was a near frozen top layer of clay, with the sharper hoof tips penetrating into the unfrozen, softer layer. Pic 3 has some snow in it, which gave me that idea.

Certainly you could venture that these may be front hooves and the deer was slowing down. Tom Brown's info would also offer the option that maybe in pic 3, the deer simply had its head down toward the ground, tilting his weight onto the tips of his toes.

Fun to guess, but I don't really know. But at least you have three more ideas for pics 3 and 4.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
dagger

Unread postby dagger » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:38 pm

With deer hooves, all four of them.
SouthernHunter

Unread postby SouthernHunter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Good Stuff.

Motivated wrote: Any dew claws on these prints, just outside of the frame of the pic?

Negative on the dew claw.

Motivated wrote:Please someone let me know if that is not the way it works. I'm open to being corrected so I can really understand.

I'm unsure also. It seems it could go both ways. One thing that causes problems with the distorted areas is the small rocks and such in the soil. They can easily be the cause of these distortions in the tracks.

Motivated wrote:My second idea for pics 3 and 4 was a near frozen top layer of clay, with the sharper hoof tips penetrating into the unfrozen, softer layer. Pic 3 has some snow in it, which gave me that idea.

Good eyes. I didn't even realize this when I posted as some of these pics are several years old. I also believe that pic#3 was made on hard, frozen ground and that pic#4 was made in much softer soil. I believe they are made by a rear hoof.
I don't think these type tracks came from an injured deer because I find them often and have for several years. I know pic #3 is at least 7-8 years old.

dagger wrote:With deer hooves, all four of them.

:lol: You got it!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”