MW 6/8/17 - River/Creek Bedding

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: MW 6/8/17 - River/Creek Bedding

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Another goody, this one includes a clip about finding great sign but another hunter has been there already. They also find an example of a lower elevation buck bed in hill country.

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/videos/ ... land-8217/

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:Another goody, this one includes a clip about finding great sign but another hunter has been there already. They also find an example of a lower elevation buck bed in hill country.

Aaron always does a great job of explaining why he scouts where he scouts. And why the bucks use these specific areas. The MW guys help keep me motivated to keep scouting through out the entire year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:28 am

tgreeno wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:Another goody, this one includes a clip about finding great sign but another hunter has been there already. They also find an example of a lower elevation buck bed in hill country.

Aaron always does a great job of explaining why he scouts where he scouts. And why the bucks use these specific areas. The MW guys help keep me motivated to keep scouting through out the entire year.

Agreed. I am looking forward to how your season goes. Your posts have been solid, you put in the ground work and dedicated this season to bed hunting. Good luck!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:36 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
Agreed. I am looking forward to how your season goes. Your posts have been solid, you put in the ground work and dedicated this season to bed hunting. Good luck!

Thanks DN...I am hoping your season will be successful too!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Very informative segment. I ran into a situation just like this last season. Was going in to hang a camera during early muzzy season and we had just had a bunch of rain. The creek that had been a feet deep was now 3-4ft deep and running heavily in the spot I normally crossed. I decided to walk along the edge to find a place to cross. As I did this I noticed quite a few beds in the tall grass coming into an oxbow. Just then I heard a deer jump up so I cocked the hammer back and ran back so I could get a look at the deer. As it crossed the creek I noticed it had a good set of antlers. He stopped on the opposite side and looked back as he didn't see me and the wind was in my face. Unfortunately I hadn't flipped up my far scope cover and by the time I got it up I didn't get a shot. Lesson learned for next year but what they're describing is true. I did notice that the deer did not bed in this oxbow later in the season as the green died down the area lost cover so I think it is important to add how deer may shift in these oxbows given the changing seasons.
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 am

Great video. These guys are who led me to the hunting beast.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:56 am

Bonehead wrote:Great video. These guys are who led me to the hunting beast.

Welcome!
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Zach in the river bottom unit. 2:15 mark. Woof!
http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/videos/ ... and-71017/

Cool video.
I would like to know what the camera at the river crossing picked up for intel...
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”