Summer shining & glassing

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Summer shining & glassing

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:13 pm

Dewey wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Not sure if there is any new crazy candlepower spotlights on the market, but get the brightest one you can afford. It really sucks when they're at the end of the beam and you can't tell how big he is! Dark velvet racks are hard to see at night.

Mine is 3 million candlepower. I agree it's really hard to see them at times even with a bright light. Always a good idea to bring binocs along to get a better look at them.

I wear my binocs and have my spotter with window mount ready to go in case he's lazy and doesn't bolt. Spotting scope is key IMO

NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:08 am

When is a good time of year to back off the shining? Or is shining something you can getaway with even during the season?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:09 am

NorthStar wrote:When is a good time of year to back off the shining? Or is shining something you can getaway with even during the season?

Where I'm at we can only shine until 11 PM year round. This time of year you get a decent 1 to 1.5 hour period. I am a big proponent of shining during season especially the rut. Sometimes you can locate a big guy locked down with a feeding doe.

In 2012 I was shining one night and saw a couple bucks bird dogging near a huntable place. The next morning I ended up missing a giant and then killing a pretty nice 8 at 10 AM. I was on the fence as to where to go until I shined those bucks the night before.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:26 am

DeerDylan wrote:
NorthStar wrote:When is a good time of year to back off the shining? Or is shining something you can getaway with even during the season?

Where I'm at we can only shine until 11 PM year round. This time of year you get a decent 1 to 1.5 hour period. I am a big proponent of shining during season especially the rut. Sometimes you can locate a big guy locked down with a feeding doe.

In 2012 I was shining one night and saw a couple bucks bird dogging near a huntable place. The next morning I ended up missing a giant and then killing a pretty nice 8 at 10 AM. I was on the fence as to where to go until I shined those bucks the night before.

I also like shining during the rut. It can really help keying in on certain areas where chasing is much more active. That can really put you in a good position because we all know how one or two hot does can create unbelievable chasing in one area yet a 1/2 mile away action is zero.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:30 am

Unfortunately we are not allowed to shine here in Ohio, so we are dependent on glassing bean fields in the evenings and trail cameras.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:35 am

Dewey wrote:I like to shine later at night since more deer are out and about compared to just after dark in most cases. I pay very close attention to peak movements on my iSolunar app as those times are really accurate when they are in their summer patterns.

One of my favorite tools for glassing and observation is my mountain bike. It's a great low impact way to get to places you cannot with your vehicle and the bonus is you can stay hidden from others who may get tipped off by you watching bucks from the public roads.

Dewey,

What app do you use? Also, is this calender accurate with what your app goes off of??

http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:48 am

rfickes87 wrote:
Dewey wrote:I like to shine later at night since more deer are out and about compared to just after dark in most cases. I pay very close attention to peak movements on my iSolunar app as those times are really accurate when they are in their summer patterns.

One of my favorite tools for glassing and observation is my mountain bike. It's a great low impact way to get to places you cannot with your vehicle and the bonus is you can stay hidden from others who may get tipped off by you watching bucks from the public roads.

Dewey,

What app do you use? Also, is this calender accurate with what your app goes off of??

http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx

Yes I compared and that site is very close with my iSolunar app.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”