Summer scouting podcast Question... How early do you find scrapes?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

Summer scouting podcast Question... How early do you find scrapes?

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 am

I just listened to Dan's #5 YouTube podcast. Summer scouting. I've listened to it about 3 times the last month. Trying to do everything i can right this summer and make the most of it.
But one big question i have... Dan, 2 of your bucks you talk about were located in summer and you shot them over scrapes in September. I have a question, how early in the summer were you seeing these mature bucks work scrapes? You said you glasses them working scrapes in summer. I really struggle with this finding early season scrapes in PA. I don't usually see scrapes until October. Perhaps wisconsin is a little ahead of PA?
I hear guys say deer work them all year round. I've never seen it outside of Oct, Nov, Dec. Not saying i don't believe it i guess perhaps i never looked hard enough. If you've seen bucks work scrapes in July, August then i guess im asking bc it'd give me the confidence to look harder here soon to find scrapes like that early in the season.

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Summer scouting podcast Question... How early do you find scrapes?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:29 am

Here in Tn ive found scrapes in Early October. never seen any in September or earlier here.

I do wonder if mature bucks check primary scrapes year round similar to how they check signpost rubs to scent check what deer come through their areas???
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:49 am

I have a camera set over a primary scrape back in some heavy cover, that the licking branch gets worked year round. I have seen Bucks work the scrape in the off season also but the sign is more subtle than in the fall.
It also seems to be much more important where the scrape is located for it to be worked in the off season. I have not seen near as much activity on field edge type scrapes as scapes closer to bedding further into the cover.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Jdw wrote:I have a camera set over a primary scrape back in some heavy cover, that the licking branch gets worked year round. I have seen Bucks work the scrape in the off season also but the sign is more subtle than in the fall.
It also seems to be much more important where the scrape is located for it to be worked in the off season. I have not seen near as much activity on field edge type scrapes as scapes closer to bedding further into the cover.

Thanks Jdw. That makes a lot of sense about the scrapes more so in around bedding. That's really what im trying to focus in on. Are you in hilly country? I am. I only see scrapes in October. On field edges or a lot on old logging roads. Basically any flat ground. Trying now to find that near bedding to see how often it gets used.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:37 am

I am in hill country, with a good bit of ag land mixed in.
We have pretty good dear numbers and a fairly balanced age structure which also helps.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:43 am

I was just editing old video for the farm DVD and was watching some old footage of me finding a scrape in August and while Im looking at it saying how fresh it looks a big buck jumps up from its bed 20 yards from me and takes off... Yea, I find scrapes all year. The primary scrapes are used all year... You have to look a little closer cause there not as aggressively used, and there are no where close to the amount I find in November. But, I can say a good handful of my best bucks came from early scrapes.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:03 am

One of the biggest stinkyest scrapes I ever found was in August in Delaware.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks guys!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:44 am

I found a scrape within 100 yards of some prime buck beds in April. I'm definitely putting a camera on it this summer & fall.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
C r o w

Unread postby C r o w » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:45 am

rfickes87 wrote:Thanks guys!

Granted I've never killed a buck any larger then a basket 9... I found scrapes in SW PA in August last year. There were 2 within 50 yards of each and at least a dozen or more rubs within 75 yards that I could see. I hung a lock on about 50 yards or so down a deer trail from this "hot spot" and saw the brute that was responsible. It was hands down the biggest buck I've ever seen in the woods. Later that day 3 smaller bucks came within bow range of me. Only having a very limited amount of time to hunt due to college obligations and have ever even had a buck close enough in now range to shoot at, I took a shot and harvested my first 8 point with a bow. Nothing impressive but nonetheless I learned a lot of valuable lessons about scouting last year. 4 bucks within 3 hours isn't bad at all I don't think. That was the first Saturday of the 2016 PA archery season.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:06 am

tgreeno wrote:I found a scrape within 100 yards of some prime buck beds in April. I'm definitely putting a camera on it this summer & fall.

An active scrape in April??
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:45 am

rfickes87 wrote:
tgreeno wrote:I found a scrape within 100 yards of some prime buck beds in April. I'm definitely putting a camera on it this summer & fall.

I found several active scrapes in mid march. Not being destroyed, but definitely used. But only in the hard to get to areas, seems they don't mind letting their hair down if they think nobody's watching 8-)
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:55 am

rfickes87 wrote:

It was not being hammered like during the rut, but it was open, fresh dirt and licking branch. Actually April 30th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Last year I found a fresh scrape the first week of September. Heard before that bucks, primarily mature ones, will use them year round. This instance was the first time I had a visual of one that far out of the prime rutting time frame. I left a camera out this year in a area that gets hammered with scrape activity throughout the rut. I'll share some pics if I catch one working a scrape from march-sept
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:45 pm

I have found fresh scrapes year round. Everybody thinks bucks only make scrapes during the rut but that's completely false. I don't believe all bucks scrape year round but some of the more agressive bucks no doubt do it with a much higher frequency.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”