Poison ivy

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

northeast beast

Poison ivy

Unread postby northeast beast » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:42 am

Anyone have any suggestions for avoid poison ivy. I try and get my stands and cutting done before green up to avoid it but I always have work to do in summer and it seems even with long pants and sleeve shirt I still get it bad. I scrubdown after and wash all my clothes and still get it bad... any soaps or other topical stuff anyone use to help fight it off

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Poison ivy

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:59 am

I've always had poison ivy problems but after watching this video and taking the advice from it, I haven't had more than a few tiny bumps here and there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyoDRHpQK0
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:34 am

Same here, that video has saved me from getting bad reactions. I get out of the clothes I was wearing in the woods once I get back to the truck and put them in a garbage bag. I wipe down with tecnu, water and a wash cloth at the truck and put on new clothes for the ride home. I wash 3 times like he said with a wash cloth in the shower once home, once with dawn, once with tecnu, then once again with the dawn. I also wipe the inside of my truck down so I don't get back in there and get it off the arm rest or stearing wheel or something. I dump the clothes directly from the garbage bag into the wash so I don't touch them again and get the oils on me and I wash them on hot with regular detergent and a tablespoon of dawn. I also keep all my gear in one spot in the garage and don't let it come in contact with other stuff.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:44 am

Helps to take a cold shower rather than hot too. Your pores open up in a hot shower allowing the oil to get in. Cold showers aren't always fun but it beats the heck out of a bad case of poison ivy.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:29 am

;)
Wlog wrote:I've always had poison ivy problems but after watching this video and taking the advice from it, I haven't had more than a few tiny bumps here and there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyoDRHpQK0

Thanks for the video it is a good example
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:31 am

Wlog wrote:Helps to take a cold shower rather than hot too. Your pores open up in a hot shower allowing the oil to get in. Cold showers aren't always fun but it beats the heck out of a bad case of poison ivy.

I have heaerd that and I have often wondered if the fact that I sweat like crazy and often times come out of the woods totally soaked from sweat and wonder if the oil is just seaping intonmy open pores before I can wash....I'll try this's video advise out andh see what happens....
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:52 am

Best advice in a long time !!! Thank You !!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”