Oddest spots youve found buck beds.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Oddest spots youve found buck beds.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:57 am

Was just wondering some of the strangest places you have found buck beds.

I remember one afternoon about 1pm i was walking through a overgrown brush field and had a large buck jump up within 15 yards of me. He had a bed sitting in the middle of a field next to a drainage. I never in a million years wouldve expected a deer to be their.

On a late december afternoon I was walking through a swamp which opened up into a pine plantation just as i walked past the transition about 50 yards. The Area was mostly just tall grass and a few pine trees about 4 foot high. 2 beautiful bucks stood up looked at me and ran. They were bedded on a west facing slope. I was in such a state of shock i forgot i even had a gun. I still remember the sun glowing off their beams was like a dream. The funny thing is their were no huntable trees anywhere around within 80 yards of those beds.

I think we have all had encounters with bucks that we will never forget just wanted to share these memorys. So what are yours?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Josh_S
500 Club

Re: Oddest spots youve found buck beds.

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri May 19, 2017 5:10 am

Kicked one out of an old abandoned shed on a small property my parents own a few years back. Looked to be a 2.5 yr old.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri May 19, 2017 5:25 am

Patch of tall grass next to a parking lot for a high school. Biggest buck I have ever seen in my life. Milwaukee County
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:32 am

Big muley bucks bedded along shrubs in yards in the city of Helena, Mt!!! Far from any woods forest or mountain.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri May 19, 2017 3:06 pm

stash59 wrote:Big muley bucks bedded along shrubs in yards in the city of Helena, Mt!!! Far from any woods forest or mountain.

No matter how many times I see things like that It never ceases to amaze me were they will bed to stay away from hunting pressure
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri May 19, 2017 11:36 pm

At the time I didn't even realize what I was looking at but now thinking back, I could slap myself. There used to be an abandoned farmhouse with a few barns and sheds that connected to my father in laws farm. I walked up to this little wooden shed that was overgrown and there were wrist sized trees that were shredded and bent over like a rainbow with a bare patch of dirt right up against the building. The buck could watch me park and walk into my stand from there. Classic! If I only knew then what I know now.
Makes me think about what could be out there right now that I'm over looking.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:18 am

Number of years ago on my uncles place in north central MN. Couple bucks would bed alongside the roadway downwind of a bedding area. They could only be seen due to the fresh snowfall. Neighbor happened to drive by saw the bucks and went to ask uncle if could have permission to shoot one of the bucks. 20 mins later after a stalking along the tree line....dead 10 point buck :D
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat May 20, 2017 3:42 am

Was told a story once of a buck that would bed in some elderly people's garden. He would show up during gun season. They didn't hunt and left him alone. He supposedly did it multiple years.
chas3r

Unread postby chas3r » Tue May 23, 2017 10:56 am

I know of this family that doesn't hunt and watches their property closely. My family had cattle in a pasture close by that got out so my brother and I were looking for them and happened to go to this house to see if they had seen the cattle low and behold there were bucks and does bedded around the house. If my memory serves me right there were about 10 deer there and didn't even move when my brother and I arrived on atv's.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”