Large Sheds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BCR1985

Large Sheds

Unread postby BCR1985 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:47 am

I've been scouting a new area in hill country and have found several really big sheds within a half mile area. The largest was directly on a deer trail about 40 feet from the top of the ridge. The elevation was 812 feet. The highest point along this mountain range is about 1500 feet. There is definitely some doe bedding below this trail and I found another small shed nearby with a series of rubs within this area.

Obviously the sheds both large and small were dropped late feb/early march. Food and behavioral patterns are different than sept/oct/nov. Or are they? The biggest shed is less than 100 yards from a small bedding area off a point. The trail with the big shed seemed to be higher than the doe beds with the wind blowing into the beds so a buck wouldn't be able to scent check a bed with this wsw wind.

Still, is this an indicator that I should set up here? Wind just doesn't seem right. (The largest of the 4 sheds was seven points, lots of pearling, mass, and if matched looks like a buck better than 140.

Advice? Suggestions? I'm nowhere near the 1/3 from the highest range and even though the big guy is on the downwind side of the 812 hill he's not scenting that doe bedding point. What should I do? Will try and draw up a map of the spot.

Best,

Ed

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Large Sheds

Unread postby dan » Wed May 17, 2017 4:29 am

I have found sheds and later shot the same buck out of the bed where I found it, so it does happen. However, it might be a tempory bedding area for that time frame... Hard to say for sure. My advice would be to learn all the big buck bedding in that area, and hunt that buck down by hopping from spot to spot, rather than putting all your eggs in the shed bed basket.
BCR1985

Unread postby BCR1985 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:43 am

haha thanks Dan! I will follow your advice for sure! Btw when does your new hill country dvd come out?? I've got all the others and they've changed the way I hunt completely.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:32 am

I thought the same thing when I found a nice match set underneath a pine at the end of a point into cattail swamp.

On this particular piece of public, each point into the cattail swamp has a lone pine tree.

Next season, I will have to hunt each point depending on the wind and stack each bedding area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”