best gps unit

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BCR1985

best gps unit

Unread postby BCR1985 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:33 am

Hi Gang,

I'd like to upgrade my handheld gps when I'm marking waypoints while scouting. The unit I have is ok, but can be a pain when navigating to a stand in the dark because it will only put me in the general vicinity (30 feet or so). I need something that's easy to use but allows for a satellite image with a topographic overlay. Is there something out there like that? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Ed

Ghost Hunter

Re: best gps unit

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed May 17, 2017 7:21 am

You purchase cards that provide contour an imagery maps. As far accuracy on pin point location. I don't know if that possible for security reasons?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed May 17, 2017 7:48 am

Honestly what works best for me is a garmin 64 for topos and waypoints, and my iphone for aerials. I use google maps so I know where I am.

If you have a newer smartphone, I would also consider getting a battery pack and a gps app on it. Some of the apps are really good, but my phone is too old to really work well with it. I hear lots of good reviews on this and then you have to carry one less thing, but I prefer a stand alone gps.

There are some good threads on archery talk about using apps on your phone. More people over there so you get more reviews of things some might not try.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed May 17, 2017 8:09 am

I have the 64S with maps installed. Works good for me.
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:09 am

64S here as well. Works great.
Let's go Brandon!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed May 17, 2017 11:18 am

Rino 650 or 655!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed May 17, 2017 12:54 pm

64s with Birdseye and the Garmin topo for me too. Been having it for about 3 years or so. No issues, no complaints.

If I need a better aerial I will break out my phone, but I don't really use it for navigation purposes.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Garmin Oregon 600 with OnxMap chip for topos and use my phone for high resolution aerials.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Oregon 6O0 for me as well. Onyx app on the phone and chip in the gps.

Chad
ttawh33

Unread postby ttawh33 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:17 am

For you guys using the 64 s how is your battery life? I have a 64s and it seems to need new batteries a lot more then some of the other units i have had. Any tip or tricks that you guys know of to optimize battery life?
BCR1985

Unread postby BCR1985 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:55 am

I usually keep my phone in the pack for emergency only, but the 64s seems pretty solid. I was looking at the 600 montana but not sure if I need all the frills. My goal is to be able to see my waypoints and current physical position on a satellite image w/topo overlay.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu May 18, 2017 7:46 am

ttawh33 wrote:For you guys using the 64 s how is your battery life? I have a 64s and it seems to need new batteries a lot more then some of the other units i have had. Any tip or tricks that you guys know of to optimize battery life?

I use the ultimate lithiums and the battery life is decent. Nothing to really compare it too. I turn it off while I'm sitting so it will last a couple weekends for me. If you have it running all day, then I would expect to get a weekend out of it. I can find the batteries cheap, and I have a bad habit of not plugging things in overnight to charge so I didn't try rechargeable batteries. I always carry 2 extra sets with me in a sandwich bag next to my license and knife. The extra weight is nothing and I know I will be good.

I have heard good things about rechargeable batteries, I think Dewey uses them, but I can't remember what kind he used. You just need to remember to plug your gps in overnight to charge it. Once my lithiums run out (I got 50 for like 25$ last year on ebay), I will probably go to rechargeable since I have an external battery I carry with me for my phone.

Don't get alkaline batteries though. My gps died halfway through the day the first time I tried using alkaline batteries on a cold day.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu May 18, 2017 12:47 pm

The place I hunt on public is about a two mile walk round trip. I use it walking into location an walking out. I generally get two weekends or three out of mine. Sometimes a little more. Just depends on how much looking I do going in or out. I carry tow sets of batteries with me also. If you use light walking in it uses a little more battery. When I hunted my lease only I never really used it much. Usually get a whole season out of one set of batteries.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri May 19, 2017 5:20 am

Jonny wrote:
ttawh33 wrote:For you guys using the 64 s how is your battery life? I have a 64s and it seems to need new batteries a lot more then some of the other units i have had. Any tip or tricks that you guys know of to optimize battery life?

I use the ultimate lithiums and the battery life is decent. Nothing to really compare it too. I turn it off while I'm sitting so it will last a couple weekends for me. If you have it running all day, then I would expect to get a weekend out of it. I can find the batteries cheap, and I have a bad habit of not plugging things in overnight to charge so I didn't try rechargeable batteries. I always carry 2 extra sets with me in a sandwich bag next to my license and knife. The extra weight is nothing and I know I will be good.

I have heard good things about rechargeable batteries, I think Dewey uses them, but I can't remember what kind he used. You just need to remember to plug your gps in overnight to charge it. Once my lithiums run out (I got 50 for like 25$ last year on ebay), I will probably go to rechargeable since I have an external battery I carry with me for my phone.

Don't get alkaline batteries though. My gps died halfway through the day the first time I tried using alkaline batteries on a cold day.

I use re-chargeable lithium ion batteries with my garmin 64s. I have a dozen re-chargeable batteries I've been cycling through the past couple years, re-charging after each full day of scouting/hunting. I have had no issues with battery life on the re-charged batteries. It definitely saves money in the long run.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri May 19, 2017 5:23 am

Josh_S wrote:
Jonny wrote:

I use re-chargeable lithium ion batteries with my garmin 64s. I have a dozen re-chargeable batteries I've been cycling through the past couple years, re-charging after each full day of scouting/hunting. I have had no issues with battery life on the re-charged batteries. It definitely saves money in the long run.

Yeah that's what I will use next once I run out of my current supply of batteries

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”