Buck Track Matching

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Buck Track Matching

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:18 am

I am studying some of my track pics from this off season and need some input about matching tracks. Iv read a lot on here about tracking and been applying it for a few seasons now but need some help. I have talked to a couple members about it but looking for some more tips, input, ideas. Some of these are really bad pics...

There is a buck that I have some history w this off season, he has a really cool bed and tracks. His bed is worn to dirt yet its not that thick... on certain winds he is down wind of hunters that leave piles of pee bottles and iv bumped him on way off winds as well so maybe its a bed where he uses vision too. I have a strong gut feeling these are the same buck bc he seems to have a defined dew claw. Im not the most confident tracker yet but I do know when every track that was found I instantly thought same deer. I may be way off base but thats why I need some input... I found other buck tracks around the area but none had the defined dew claws like these:
*DAY 1:
Bed
J Hook Rub
Tracks 1 & 2 (1/4mi S of bed - leaving area)
Track 3 (1/4mi N of bed - towards area)

*DAY 2:
I was extremely pleased to jump the deer again only to re examine his entry trail and find this track right by his nice J hook rub. This is the main one I cant stop thinking about. Here is original large pic and then zoomed in.

This is a seperate buck track that I just wanted to share. Iv heard Dan talk about a buck having a natural spread I finally found one, this deer definitely has that. I caught this track in a creek bottom and was able to back track to an exact bed. Doesnt look like much but it was a cool day.

Ok lastly.... was wondering about tracks IN the beds. Is this heart shape what a buck track looks like when a buck first stands up for the day?

Uncle Lou

Re: Buck Track Matching

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:47 am

good detective work. Don't know about the last pic, my first guess just from the pic would be doe print, but not sure why it would be in the buck bed
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:06 am

Buck tracks splay from weight... As they get older they splay more from the years of weight pushing them apart. All bucks splay when running... I would look more at the exact shape and characteristics of the toes rather than the dew claws. Dew claws showing on a walking buck is a sign of heavy weight, which generally means an older larger buck. A big old buck would splay standing, walking, or running.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:14 am

How old of a buck is that dark knight?
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:34 am

Dew Claw Buck - I hear what youre saying about weight and concentrating on the toes... honestly thats why I started the thread. Seeing the dew claws can be great confirmation for bucks and caliber, but after finding that perfect 1st track it was just fun scouting and looking. Then I started finding other bucks and yet there was specific set that laid perfect dew claws. As you can see it didnt matter if its dry dirt in the hills, muddy trail leaving a field or old gravel access trail those dew claws jumped out to me more than any other buck iv tracked. So in general I am basically tracking the heaviest deer in the area vs the deer w unique dew claw prints?

Wide Spread Buck - Im glad you said that about the spread, that specific buck was spread bc of him landing, though I was still impressed by the extreme spread. I was able to back track it to a nice bedding area but he was using an off wind bed and definitely has a natural splay. Actually (based on rubs in his bed) I think he may be old buck w smaller rack not sure yet...

Heart Shaped Track - This specific track is not big its just one I had handy to share, I have more at my home PC to upload later. I was specifically asking about these bc of what Lou mentioned and everything we just talked about w how the tracks change doing different activities. Obviously my first reaction is Doe... IDK how to explain these other than sometimes I find them, sometimes I dont. Occasionally I find that just all around great deer bedding area and think does use it sometimes or a doe came through here. But I have bigger tracks the same shape that believe are bucks. I have tracked a buck all the way to a bed before only to find the heart shape in the bed but im staring right at a nice rub and fresh hair.
What I am asking is - bc he isnt doing anything strenuous except standing up out of the bed to start his day or its a track he lays when he simply steps in to the bed then does his motion to lay down? So the dew claws are not pressing and the toes are not spreading but its very large heart shape. Im just looking for any thoughts on this really... even if im way off base...anyone else see this?
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:13 am

This is a great topic Darkknight! The whole splayed track thing is a bit of a mystery to me. I understand that heavy weight causes tracks to spread, especially front tracks. But my own personal observations are that the largest, heaviest bucks I have hunted, have had huge heart/square shaped tracks, no splay while walking. I am talking about 4.5 finger wide (3.5") tracks in the beds, on the trails around the beds, with no splayed tracks anywhere. If they did splay they would be 5 finger wide tracks! I guess I look at splayed tracks suspiciously, thinking they might be inflating the actual size of what I think the animal will be. I trust huge heart shaped or square closed toe tracks more because of my personal experience.

Another comment...Once while spring scouting I found a trail that had huge tracks going both ways. One set was square and close toed, the set going the other way was splayed on every step. This trail was running up/down a 30 degree slope so I thought maybe the same buck but the slope caused his track to splay (I can't remember if the splay was walking uphill or downhill). Anyways, I set a trail cam watching the trail in April and picked it up in October, and had two different big bucks that showed on camera. So I guess my theory is that some bucks will not splay when they get heavy and some bucks will splay. Anybody have thoughts on that?

One more question...the bucks that do splay, are their hooves in a permanent, rigid splay position (like something is wedged between their toes), or do they flex back and forth from closed to splayed?
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:31 pm

The heart shaped tracks in picture #1 and in the very last picture are from different deer, in my opinion. In the first picture there is a large gap between the two sides of the hoof on the top right. In the last heart-shaped track there is no gap. I would guess that the last pic is from a small buck that is bachelored up with the big one.

Feet and hooves are somewhat flexible and not splayed when non-weightbearing. They splay when heavy pressure applied, like a leaping, running doe or walking heavy buck. I doubt that a buck who is in the act of getting up or lying down would leave a different track than when he is walking, but that is just my opinion.

Some people are flat footed and some have narrow feet with high, rigid arches. It stands to reason that there is some variability with deer too. Some tall, heavy people have narrow feet, but most heavy people have collapsed arches and wide feet.

I always get more excited over the wide, splayed walking deer tracks. Cool topic! I would love to hear more opinions over this.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Ok guys I re read amd wasn't very clear I'm sorry some must be little confused.

The 5 track pics under the dirt bed are one specific deer what I believe are his tracks that I found across the property.

The track w a wide spread in the rocks is a completely separate deer, separate property I was able to back track. Just wanted to share bc even though it was a landing track I did confirm his track by his bed. It's a natural spread that is almost as wide as the pic shows when he is just standing or walking.

The last track is a random track that was handy to share. The tracks in the bed question is completely separate from the dew claw questions. I will try to upload more examples later.

Separate deer, separate questions. Thanks for feedback so far. Great stuff
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Here is the most recent example I wanted to share and talk about different ways tracks are made. A bedding area w old/new rubs of different calibers, fresh hairs & heart shape track right in the bed. Just curious if its just a random doe track or anyone else sees it?

Old nice rub, fresh smaller rub, bed is on the ground to the right just out of pic.
Heart Track In Bed
Hair and Rub

Thanks everyone for help and input
-Josh
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Another example - this is one of those bedding areas that seems great for all deer maybe. Found mainly young buck rubs in the beds and small scat. This is perfect for what I'm asking about tracks in the beds - you can see a fresh hair in the track! Now... it's really difficult to tell from the pic but I dont think the hair is smashed in w the track so I would guess this track was made before the deer laid down on top of it? So my assumtion is Does... or there isnt any spreading or dew claws hitting dirt. Thats why im wondering opinions? That's all I got
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:54 am

Update - another member made some excellent points in a PM, I will let him comment for the credit, one of those ideas is:
*Even though some are probably does or younger deer - The heart shaped tracks IN the beds im asking about could be result of hind hoof tracks, which feels like the obvious factor im missing.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:27 am

KLEMZ wrote:This is a great topic Darkknight! The whole splayed track thing is a bit of a mystery to me. I understand that heavy weight causes tracks to spread, especially front tracks.But my own personal observations are that the largest, heaviest bucks I have hunted, have had huge heart/square shaped tracks, no splay while walking. I am talking about 4.5 finger wide (3.5") tracks in the beds, on the trails around the beds, with no splayed tracks anywhere. If they did splay they would be 5 finger wide tracks! I guess I look at splayed tracks suspiciously, thinking they might be inflating the actual size of what I think the animal will be. I trust huge heart shaped or square closed toe tracks more because of my personal experience.
Another comment...Once while spring scouting I found a trail that had huge tracks going both ways. One set was square and close toed, the set going the other way was splayed on every step. This trail was running up/down a 30 degree slope so I thought maybe the same buck but the slope caused his track to splay (I can't remember if the splay was walking uphill or downhill). Anyways, I set a trail cam watching the trail in April and picked it up in October, and had two different big bucks that showed on camera. So I guess my theory is that some bucks will not splay when they get heavy and some bucks will splay. Anybody have thoughts on that?

One more question...the bucks that do splay, are their hooves in a permanent, rigid splay position (like something is wedged between their toes), or do they flex back and forth from closed to splayed?

Thanks KLEMZ! Great info its good to know Im not completely crazy :?

As far as your last question the wide spread track above is my first one trying to learn and I agree w you about the wedge between their toes. That is the way it seemed to be when I found them in different positions and when he did different activities, didnt take any more pics along the way on that buck though...I imagine bucks in the back of trucks - how some hoofs are tight together so it require mud or strenuous activity to spread vs one that the toes have a wide V between them and can see daylight on the other side. As stated above someone said it could the hind hoofs making those hearts.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:55 am

dan wrote:Buck tracks splay from weight... As they get older they splay more from the years of weight pushing them apart. All bucks splay when running... I would look more at the exact shape and characteristics of the toes rather than the dew claws. Dew claws showing on a walking buck is a sign of heavy weight, which generally means an older larger buck. A big old buck would splay standing, walking, or running.

Whole books could be wrote on this topic and still not cover it. I agree with what Dan said and will add a bit.
deer tracks change a lot depending how tired a deer is. The last pic of the track in the bed may be a good example. Tired deer lay back on their feet and drag them when walking. fresh deer will stand more on their tip toes. I have seen many tracks leaving a bed that looked so different from the tracks entering that I wondered how it could be the same deer.
when a deer lays back on its dew claws the foot splays. Notice how the tips are often the widest part. I believe this is by design because a wider track will distribute the weight better (like a snowshoe) The foot itself isnt much bigger than other deer, just spread wider.
It's real hard to analyze individual tracks. There are some things that can be learned from individual tracks but you really need to look at a series of tracks to get a better picture.
I kinda think that the tracks in your pictures are running tracks. deer step hind foot into front foot so walking tracks are actually two tracks. These look like single tracks to me but its hard to tell from pictures. it is real hard to judge a running track.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 am

DK,

Good thread! I'm wondering if you could be just a bit clearer on the question. I think you are asking if the first few tracks are the same buck or not, and then there are cool pics that follow but don't necessarily have a direct link - am I getting this right?

There are a few things that will help you be almost certain of matching a buck to it's track or vise-versa. The first is you are doing some good scouting but when you take a picture, make sure you include a reference that will help you understand the dimensions of the track later. Even your hand laid down flat beside it provide you with an excellent benchmark - you can always measure that later. A lot of times bucks can be differentiated on dimensional aspects alone. Adding a reference also makes it easier to focus on the location where the track lays in the picture. Also try to always get pictures of both the right and left front hooves. They're usually different in some way or another. Sometimes a toe is shorter than the other on one of the hoofs. Sometimes there are chips on the outside margin somewhere. Usually just the shape of the toes or the angle of the dew claw markings with respect to the back of the hoof make them identifiable compared to a buck with a different track. Together, they can paint a pretty clear picture, helping to identify a particular buck.

There are other things you can do to determine the identity even more. Take measurements between strides when the buck is walking normally (one side at a time only). If he tends to walk with a 16, 21 or 24 inch gait, then this allows you more clues yet. Some will put their back hoof further back into their front one when they're walking. It allows you to see the imprint of both front and back toes - some will be slightly forward so only back toes. It's just another identifying characteristic that helps pin one down. Make a line linking three right tracks and then 3 left ones and measure the distance between those (stay on the outside or inside of the tracks but be consistent with your method). That's called the stagger and it also is fairly regular within the tracks of a particular buck but differs from those of another.

Another thing you have is potentially two rubs which you can measure. The second one is an older one and has been used for a few years. You can measure the height up to where the bark was peeled clear off and this is where his head will be located when it is just slightly above right angle to the tree. This should be pretty regular from one rub to the next unless he can bend the tree. Marks of tines above and below that cleared off spot will give clues as to where his G2s,3 and tips fall (so as to reflect the width of the rack).

The first picture you provided is a front hoof, but it's not clear which side because we can't tell from a single print what the deer was doing. He would have been standing though as opposed to walking because it is a clear print. A running track could have also provided this type of track even with a smaller deer. The other print in the picture is most probably one of his hind hoofs. Notice the discrepancy in size - this is normal. Usually when the buck is travelling, that back hoof is imprinted exactly in the corresponding front hoof. If the width of the hoofs are 2 1/2" or more, my guess is this is a heavy deer and the track is splaying accordingly. Smaller than that, you should look at the gait to make sure it's not a running track. By itself it looks like it's standing (not much dirt spray around the track and good definition).

If I were to guess, because of the differing angles in the splay of the toes in the first and second picture, I would assume it's probably the same buck, but different feet (left and right). A picture of the two sides at the same location would pretty much remove all doubt. Usually (at least up here) there aren't a whole bunch of deer with big tracks so it gets pretty simple to know that is Big Buck A's vs Big Buck B's track - and I can usually differentiate them with good measurements alone.

Most of your other pictures are too difficult to make out the shape of the track (at least on my small screen).

I hope some of this helps.

Daniel.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:02 am

magicman54494 wrote:
dan wrote:Buck tracks splay from weight... As they get older they splay more from the years of weight pushing them apart. All bucks splay when running... I would look more at the exact shape and characteristics of the toes rather than the dew claws. Dew claws showing on a walking buck is a sign of heavy weight, which generally means an older larger buck. A big old buck would splay standing, walking, or running.

Whole books could be wrote on this topic and still not cover it. I agree with what Dan said and will add a bit.
deer tracks change a lot depending how tired a deer is. The last pic of the track in the bed may be a good example. Tired deer lay back on their feet and drag them when walking. fresh deer will stand more on their tip toes. I have seen many tracks leaving a bed that looked so different from the tracks entering that I wondered how it could be the same deer.
when a deer lays back on its dew claws the foot splays. Notice how the tips are often the widest part. I believe this is by design because a wider track will distribute the weight better (like a snowshoe) The foot itself isnt much bigger than other deer, just spread wider.
It's real hard to analyze individual tracks. There are some things that can be learned from individual tracks but you really need to look at a series of tracks to get a better picture.
I kinda think that the tracks in your pictures are running tracks. deer step hind foot into front foot so walking tracks are actually two tracks. These look like single tracks to me but its hard to tell from pictures. it is real hard to judge a running track.

Good post. I appreciate the insight on the changing track over the course of a day. Also how a buck will likely splay more when allowing himself to lean back more on his foot. It all makes a ton of sense.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”