A potential buck bed

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Homey88

A potential buck bed

Unread postby Homey88 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:18 am

Got a chance to get out scouting today in central Pennsylvania looking for some buck beds. Was checking out a potential hunting area for next year. This particular area has a east west ridge. I found the bed on the south side of that ridge about 1/3 of the way down. I found hair in the bed. I took picture from the bed looking up the ridge and down the ridge.
I did find a few other beds with hair in them, one on a point that had a few small rubs around and some doing bedding.
view up the hill.
view down the hill.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: A potential buck bed

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:42 am

Nice, looks good! I see that a lot w the tree in front of them. As long as there are not more beds in close proximity, even when there is little buck sign Id still chalk it up as a buck. A lone doe could bed like this but it has good ingredients for a buck. Tracks are one thing he truly cant hide or deceive us with so do your best finding some if you go back out to the area.
Homey88

Unread postby Homey88 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:15 am

Will do. Found another bed out on the point of the ridge. A few small rubs around this single bed. I'm think it could be another buck bed.
Homey88

Unread postby Homey88 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:17 am

In my original post it should have said some doe bedding instead of doing bedding. Lol
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:43 pm

I've seen quite a few buck beds in very similar terrain (steep & rocky just like your pictures). From what I've observed, due to hunting pressure/etc this seems to be a good area for younger bucks but the older guys are bedding somewhere nearby most likely. Look for an area that's a little thicker and not as open, when you find that transition along the ridge top that's when you start finding the big boys.

Ridges like that can be difficult to locate beds because they can pick up and move 20 yards to a different spot so beds don't seem to get as worn in. Good eye though! If you can find a bed like that you shouldn't have any difficulty finding a primary bed.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Homey88

Unread postby Homey88 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback twenty and dark knight. I'm learning a lot from this site and hope to put it to use. Thanks again it is greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”