Bedding near parking

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cuzzinfish

Re: Bedding near parking

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:12 am

Wetfoot wrote:I'd keep the camera on the field edge where human scent won't be so alarming. If you're going to hunt that funnel,it's probably best to not put a camera there and tip a potential target off. :think:

Good point. Thanks.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:20 am

I'm assuming there would be more bedding on that south point.

I would hunt those 3 beds from the east or west.

I would throw a camera in that funnel at let it soak all summer. Or on your first hunt in there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:32 am

tgreeno wrote:I'm assuming there would be more bedding on that south point.

I would hunt those 3 beds from the east or west.

I would throw a camera in that funnel at let it soak all summer. Or on your first hunt in there.

I'm leaning towards putting a camera in it and leaving it for a few months if there's a trail with any sort of fresh tracks. Mine are low-glow red and don't seem to bother the deer at all, especially if I can get them higher in a tree and angle them down.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:21 pm

UPDATE:

So, I got out and did scouting yesterday. Those 3 beds must be temporary/seasonal. There was almost zero sign they even existed. The trail was still being used. I also found that the fields I checked had parrarllel trails with multiple entry points into those fields. And there was a trail through that south funnel where I thought I might find a decent setup.

Well, here's the trail.

And while I don't think I'd trust any of the trees (lots of dead branches), there was a wide spot with a large downed tree to the lake side of the trail (down wind on any north wind and down thermal of the trail). I could sit behind it and have 3 narrow shooting lanes all within 25 yards. It's tight but the cover should hide me well enough.

Here it is...

There wasn't much buck sign. I didn't even find a scrape, but I suppose that's not too surprising. I found one old rub just on that southern field edge off of that funnel. It was 42" high at the top. The patch of timber in that point to the southwest was really thick with scrubby stuff and a low tree canopy. Lots of side cover. Given the trails, I would say there is definitely bedding there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”