Scouting marsh islands

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

braveheart

Re: Scouting marsh islands

Unread postby braveheart » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:34 am

Dan,
Great video!! If a picture is worth a thousand words,...then a video is,...well...AWESOME!!!!!! I agree with previous posts that aerial photos and matching videos are great learning tools. Thanks again for your time and generosity of hard-earned knowledge. :clap: :clap: :clap:

A never ending quest for knowledge and absorption of nature through hunting.
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Great video!
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:55 am

Another great video!!! You mentioned you had to preset this tree because how close you are setting up to the bed. Are you talking about hanging your sticks and stand and leaving them there until you come back?

Thanks for doing all these videos.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 am

Waymore wrote:Another great video!!! You mentioned you had to preset this tree because how close you are setting up to the bed. Are you talking about hanging your sticks and stand and leaving them there until you come back?

Thanks for doing all these videos.

No.. Just check the tree to make sure I can get a stand up there without having to break or cut a branch so I can set up my stand quiet the day of the hunt.
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Well looks like an awesome spot. Hopefully your hard work pays off on a Booner. That will make another great video.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 am

Dan do you typically see mature bucks feeling safe enough to walk right down the middle of the island, or do they tend to stay along the edge?

Also I could see myself mistaking the satellite buck bedding for the same buck using different beds on different winds, or even doe group bedding.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:39 am

Josh_S wrote:Dan do you typically see mature bucks feeling safe enough to walk right down the middle of the island, or do they tend to stay along the edge?

Also I could see myself mistaking the satellite buck bedding for the same buck using different beds on different winds, or even doe group bedding.

Generally right down the middle. The trail they use is generally obvious. As far as being mistaken, I have been doing this a long time, and they even fool me occasionally. But, the primary bed is generally right at the point.
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:07 pm

How concerning is it if the wind shifts a little? It looks like there is not much margin for that. If the wind changes from say 360 degrees to 330 are you at risk of getting busted? If your setup there for 3-4 hours it seems like a high probability that the wind will shift many times during that span. Also just a general question. How wide is someone's scent cone?

Can't wait to hear how you do here. Looks like it would take some serious skill to get in there. Keep us posted this fall.

Thanks
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:11 pm

Waymore wrote:How concerning is it if the wind shifts a little? It looks like there is not much margin for that. If the wind changes from say 360 degrees to 330 are you at risk of getting busted? If your setup there for 3-4 hours it seems like a high probability that the wind will shift many times during that span. Also just a general question. How wide is someone's scent cone?

Can't wait to hear how you do here. Looks like it would take some serious skill to get in there. Keep us posted this fall.

Thanks

Hunt high, and have enough off wind to feel confident the day you hunt.
PA47trophybuck

Unread postby PA47trophybuck » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:29 am

Great video Dan!
I hunt the coastal marshes of Delaware and I would like to implement these tactics, however there is one question I have. The area I am in has a lot of soybean fields that border the marsh, should I wait till the beans are harvested, my thought is what if the buck rises from the bed and heads right thru the marsh to the beans, instead of heading to the first oak?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:20 am

PA47trophybuck wrote:Great video Dan!
I hunt the coastal marshes of Delaware and I would like to implement these tactics, however there is one question I have. The area I am in has a lot of soybean fields that border the marsh, should I wait till the beans are harvested, my thought is what if the buck rises from the bed and heads right thru the marsh to the beans, instead of heading to the first oak?

Regardless of the beans, I think to get consistent big buck action you have to kill them before they get to the field, or at least at its edge ( if low pressure). So either way you probably got to find a way to set up in the cattails...
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:30 am

Your videos are such a great help to the newbie marsh hunter. I just returned from a 4 day scout of Ohio that included a 2k acre swamp/marsh. Being from the hills I didn't know what to expect but thanks to these videos I didn't feel completely overwhelmed. Thanks again
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Question Dan from this marsh islands video. Are the bucks bedded off these points with wind to back? Maybe I took it wrong but in the video I thought you were kinda saying that the deer were bedded off the points looking into the island, but you also said that they like to bed there with the wind blowing over the island down the point. Are they looking over the marsh, with wind to back, or looking towards the island and feel safe because they have the marsh to their back? Watched the video twice maybe I just missed the answer?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”