How Steep is too Steep?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BunB231
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brooks.bunbury

How Steep is too Steep?

Unread postby BunB231 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks to The Hunting Beast, this season I had great results hunting leeward ridges. I hunt norther LP of Michigan. Before this year I had never hunted public. Last ysshb spring I scouted some big ridges and found some spots for different winds in deep to setup during the rut.

2 hunts on these public ridges (1 bow November 9th, 1 last day of rifle) 2 bucks down over 2.5 years old. Needless to say, I've been looking all over for more good leeward ridges deep in public within a reasonable drive so I can scout it.

I've scouted a couple more ridges.. big ridges, fairly strait with no change in direction, and no intersecting ridges, and both ridges are over 2 miles long. Super deep in public LP Michigan. Flat ground on top, and swamp on the bottom on both ridges. Both run ridges run north south which is great for the prevailing fall west winds.

I've found lots of sign on top of these ridges, and tons of sign in the miles of swamp, inslands, and riverbottom below (swamps run for another 2-3 miles east of the ridges, so not just concentrated sign along the bottoms).

The thing is, both ridges are crazy Steep. I'm talking "don't climb up directly behind me while we climb up the ridge because I don't want a Rick slide to take off your face."

Back to my question; anyone have expierence with bucks traversing crazy steep hillsides? I want to try s couple spots this year, but man, it's crazy steep and little Sig on the leeward side. Thanks for your input

PLB
500 Club

Re: How Steep is too Steep?

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:20 pm

They go up and down those like nothing. If there is a flat spot along the side of the ridge like a bench or old skidder trail those make awesome buck cruising spots during the rut because of the ease of travel. They are usually littered with scrapes from my experience.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:36 pm

I see them all over ridges I can't stand on and have to use my hands to help climb cause there so steep. I like to hunt right at the point where the steepness gets manageable near the top.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:37 am

So how would you scout for beds in this terrain? Without wearing yourself out. I've walked some steep stuff in elk country. Without a decent trail your ankles get tired and sore fast. Plus the chance for slipping and falling is greater. Not thinking of getting hurt. It's just alot of work constantly getting back on your feet.

My thinking is it would be similar to marsh and swamp bedding. I'd walk near the top where it's still kinda easy. Looking for the larger trees in the 1/3 area. Then slide down to see if it has a flat spot for a bed behind it. The bigger trees would seem to have flats behind them more often. Since the small amount of erosion over the years. Would cause a slight build up of dirt. Cause the bigger trees would act like a dam.

Or can you rely on there being a decent trail to walk on in the 1/3 thermal tunnel area? Then look for the larger trees from there.

Granted you'd still miss some beds but I think this would be a good way to start in a new area.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:19 am

If there is a good population of deer there is usually a trail along the thermal elevation you can walk on. Trick to it is to try not to give up elevation. Up and down will wear you out
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:00 am

dan wrote:If there is a good population of deer there is usually a trail along the thermal elevation you can walk on. Trick to it is to try not to give up elevation. Up and down will wear you out

Yeah out west it seemed alot of game trails would move slightly uphill or downhill. Only a few seemed to stay at a constant elevation. Many would suddenly just peter out. If you were trying to still gain elevation you'd have to claw your way uphill abit to find a new trail to follow. Sometimes it would be a downhill one and then you'd have to claw your way uphill again. Some of the grasses were tough and slippery. Which increased the difficulty of your clawing. :doh: :lol:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:16 am

Following tracks after a nasty rain or a 2-3" snow was really eye opening to me. Also finding bedding after a snow. It's like cheating. After I did that, bedding and trails stick out like a highlighter.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:30 am

pewpewpew wrote:Following tracks after a nasty rain or a 2-3" snow was really eye opening to me. Also finding bedding after a snow. It's like cheating. After I did that, bedding and trails stick out like a highlighter.

After snowmelt is good too. Packed snow on deer trails remains and can be seen from a long distance.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:36 am

around here there's so much diversity in terrain. If bluffs, you can stay up at the top, but I have found beds lower where there is a crossing...so you have to go up and down to find them. I've also scouted steep terrain that's not bluffs and if you stayed up where it starts to drop you wouldn't find many beds as they're bedding down lower on benches....these benches may only be 50 yards wide or so, so it's gonna take leg work going up and down. Then of course I've also been around bluffs and normal hills where I find them along elevation. It can be tough that's for sure
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:24 am

On board w/ pewpew...spent some time in the woods w/ snow on the ground. Followed a set of larger tracks to a ravine/ditch that was deeper than wide, he didnt hesitate at all. I slid down to the bottom and used tree roots to climb the other side...steep AND greasy. And also if I'm right, a buck bedding on a north facing point w/ a south wind to his back will j-hook in which means he may be walking up to that bed to minimize his scent stream...possibly climbing uphill to get there. If that is true, hes making a big climb. New guy, so let me know if I'm mistaken.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”