Rubs or Eaten?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Rubs or Eaten?

Unread postby SidewayZ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:48 am

Been finding rubs lately at two different spots.

Are they rubs or are the deer eating the bark?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Nocturnal
500 Club

Re: Rubs or Eaten?

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:52 am

Rubs... what made you question them to be eatin?
SidewayZ

Unread postby SidewayZ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:56 am

I guess I just didnt expect to see so many this time of year.

I always thought bucks rubbed to remove velvet, strengthen muscles for rut and also to relieve tension from testosterone. Also to communicate due to rut.

I didnt think much rubbing would happen when they would be close to shedding.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:00 am

Yep...definitely rubs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:04 am

definitely rubs. Notice the vertical shavings above and below the center of the rub from an up and down motion of rubbing. Also look for tine marks near or even behind the main rub.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:09 am

SidewayZ wrote:I guess I just didnt expect to see so many this time of year.

I always thought bucks rubbed to remove velvet, strengthen muscles for rut and also to relieve tension from testosterone. Also to communicate due to rut.

I didnt think much rubbing would happen when they would be close to shedding.

Those are last falls rubs more than likely. They do continue to rub a little once the rut is completely over, but not much. Those haven't weathered enough through the winter to show much for age yet. And I don't see the shavings on the ground near them. They dry up and only stay easily visible for a short time. If you look closely fresh rubs have a polished sheen to them. That doesn't last all that long either.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
SidewayZ

Unread postby SidewayZ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:48 am

My uncle was adamant that deer dont rub in winter, but these look like they to me like they were made since first of year. I also asked because my uncle says he has seen deer eat bark, which had me thinking because some of what I saw was right next to ground, not 12 - 18 inches above.

Maybe they havent grayed because of weather, IDK, but what I do know is I didnt see these last time I was there which was December.
-SidewayZ-

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:38 pm

As was said, rubs. If the shavings are on top of the leaves that's a decent indication that it was recent but not 100%.

Saying wild animals never do one thing or another is usually a good way to get proven wrong :lol:
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:46 pm

I see fresh rubs in February on a property i coyote hunt on. I think it's because of the high population of does. I'm almost positive of this actually.
SidewayZ

Unread postby SidewayZ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:59 pm

I would agree with that. I discussed that with my uncle as well. Lots of does in this area. Both my NJ & NY areas have lots of does, and I found somewhat recent rubs this week.

Is it possible maybe some does hadnt been bred yet?
-SidewayZ-

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:08 pm

I found some very fresh rubs a couple weeks ago here in Michigan. They appeared to be from a 1.5 year old by the height.

About 10 years ago my buddy called me and said he saw a buck breeding a doe in SE Michigan in his back yard.I didn't believe him but he got video of it. It was a small 8 point.Some areas are so lop sided with does I realize it's possible. I would think a doe bred in feb or march the fawns would have a hard time making it.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Guys were getting pictures this year of fawns still in spots in November. Yes.... November...
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Nocturnal wrote:I see fresh rubs in February on a property i coyote hunt on. I think it's because of the high population of does. I'm almost positive of this actually.

Yes breeding does happen late, with late fawns or in areas with really high doe ratios. Its been talked about before in some threads somewhere before on here and ive actually seen some late rut action before here in ky as late as January but not since ehd hit 7 or 8 years ago. And i have seen late fawns being chased as well. Some where i read in a northern state once that the doe population was so high that does where being bred in feb march but that article was old.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:40 pm

No doubt those are rubs. I have seen fresh rubs in February with shavings on top of the snow so it's not uncommon.

Can't say I have ever seen deer eat bark so that would be a new one to me. I'm sure it happens in extreme cases like in a deer yard where food is scarce.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:39 am

I used to hunt in an area that 60% of the doe fawns were bred and successfully raised the fawns. According to the deer biologist. Talk about a high density area. I didn't much time in the woods though in January and February. Plus most of the deer at that time kinda yarded on land I couldn't access. So I never caught on if the bucks were still rubbing that late. But like I and others said if there's rutting there's usually rubbing.

As far as deer eating bark. It's more of a last resort food if other sources get over browsed. You can tell if your in that type of area by the very discernable browse line 6'-8' off the ground. Where the deer can't reach any higher for the browse. Of course as with everything with animals there may be an exception every once in awhile. And one may just like bark for a food.

Elk eat alot of aspen bark in the winter. The trees look similar to a rub but when you look at them closer. You can see the tooth marks. Which are very evident. But even freshly eaten trees don't have that shine that a rubbed tree gets. And quite a few don't get all the through to the inner wood. Leaving a small layer of the inner bark.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”