Trouble finding beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Babscanes

Trouble finding beds

Unread postby Babscanes » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:06 am

As the title says I am struggling to find buck beds in my areas. I walked the transition of a swamp and woods yesterday with no luck. I was able to find two areas with decent amounts of rubs but when I dove in I couldn't locate any beds.

I am struggling to find the beds in the swamp. I know they must be in there but with the water I lose any trails leading back in quick.

I have hunted this area for two years and heard bucks grunting in there so I know they are there.

What am I missing?? I plan on going back soon

Look for high spots? I should of taken pics. There are a couple pine trees in there I should probably check to see if they are bedded under them next otherwise I'm lost

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Trouble finding beds

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:20 am

Its tough at 1st cause you don't know what your looking for... But as you do find beds / bedding areas you will get better and better at it. Beds usually don't look as good as the ones we take pictures of and paste on the beast. Even if you can't find the exact beds, if you know the area you think they are bedding, you can set up on the travel coming out....
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks dan

I picked a tree rt on the transition to sit. I can see out into the swamp a bit where all the rubs are and there is a nice trail on the edge too

This is only about 100 yards from a big ag field so I think they are bedding in swamp and staging near the transition
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:56 am

Not sure if you saw the video chasing down a dream? But it shows how I attack a swamp pretty well when I don't know exactly where a buck is bedding traveling.

Here is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXpXH1yxeB8
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:57 am

I will watch it again. Thanks dan. This swampy area is only 10 acres so I got to be careful
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:17 am

In your original post you said it at the end, look for the high spots. Look for the bigger trees out in the swamp, most of the time they have some land there supporting them that's above the water, that's most likely a bed. The really well used ones will jump out at you. Look for hairs. If everything's under water use your imagination a bit and make an educated guess at it. Here's an example.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:02 am

jmaas07 wrote:In your original post you said it at the end, look for the high spots. Look for the bigger trees out in the swamp, most of the time they have some land there supporting them that's above the water, that's most likely a bed. The really well used ones will jump out at you. Look for hairs. If everything's under water use your imagination a bit and make an educated guess at it. Here's an example.

What a cool bed! Nice post jmaas07!!! 8-) I dont hunt wetlands, but that is very cool buck bed so see
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:19 am

jmaas07 wrote:In your original post you said it at the end, look for the high spots. Look for the bigger trees out in the swamp, most of the time they have some land there supporting them that's above the water, that's most likely a bed. The really well used ones will jump out at you. Look for hairs. If everything's under water use your imagination a bit and make an educated guess at it. Here's an example.

Nice! How much of this relates to the size of the tree? In your pic that bed is by a tree that appears to me to have a much bigger trunk diameter. I'm assuming no beds were found by the trees in the background. They appear to have smaller trunks. I've kinda noticed this on Dan's vids also. The trees with the biggest trunks in an area seem more likely to have a primo looking bed. I'm using trunk sizes because that's what's seen on the pics and videos. Of course height would work too. But in a swamp trunk size would be more important because you can't always see the tops anyways.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Babscanes wrote:As the title says I am struggling to find buck beds in my areas. I walked the transition of a swamp and woods yesterday with no luck. I was able to find two areas with decent amounts of rubs but when I dove in I couldn't locate any beds.

You say the transition of a swamp & woods. Usually the beds are going to be in the cattails off of the woods (dry land). The transitions of foliage actually in the marsh is the better way of putting it. Where cats meet red brush. Or lone or clumps of trees in the marsh. or clumps of brush.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:20 pm

stash59 wrote:

Nice! How much of this relates to the size of the tree? In your pic that bed is by a tree that appears to me to have a much bigger trunk diameter. I'm assuming no beds were found by the trees in the background. They appear to have smaller trunks. I've kinda noticed this on Dan's vids also. The trees with the biggest trunks in an area seem more likely to have a primo looking bed. I'm using trunk sizes because that's what's seen on the pics and videos. Of course height would work too. But in a swamp trunk size would be more important because you can't always see the tops anyways.

most of these spots directly coorilate to the bigger trees
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:51 pm

Dan, what sticks where you using? Didn't look like the LW ones. Steps on both sides?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:20 pm

jmaas07 wrote:
stash59 wrote:

x2!

Whether you're in a riverbottom, swamp, or marsh this rings true. Saturday I scouted with a buddy in a swamp and almost all the good beds we found were by the biggest trees in the area. Also when you're in an area with the same type of brush/trees, look for a different specie. One spot had some tamaracs (which are located on very wet ground), if we found ash trees or dogwood that meant dry ground and beds. Every time.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:22 am

Lockdown wrote:
jmaas07 wrote:
stash59 wrote:

x2!

Whether you're in a riverbottom, swamp, or marsh this rings true. Saturday I scouted with a buddy in a swamp and almost all the good beds we found were by the biggest trees in the area. Also when you're in an area with the same type of brush/trees, look for a different specie. One spot had some tamaracs (which are located on very wet ground), if we found ash trees or dogwood that meant dry ground and beds. Every time.

Keep in mind that the beds still are in location that is safe for the deer. At dans workshop some of the beds were next to big trees, and others were in cattails. Wind, thermals and predators still influence bedding.

But yeah when I'm cyber scouting, im looking for that one bigger tree and marking it as a bed, provided it's in the right location.

Reason is, big trees don't grow in water. They need solid ground. Solid ground in the swamps should have beds on it. Safe bet is to check the bigger trees. Just don't rule out areas that should have bedding cause there aren't big trees.

Keep at it. Finding beds is fun and boosts confidence tremendously.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:24 am

mag1 wrote:Dan, what sticks where you using? Didn't look like the LW ones. Steps on both sides?

I think he made them for himself
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:14 am

I was kind of thinking that, as I believe he's got his special stand as well. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”