Am I on the wrong track

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Grasshopper

Am I on the wrong track

Unread postby Grasshopper » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:38 am

I've been doing a lot of scouting on a ridge that runs wsw-ene. It's elevation changes 800' creek to peak. I've been poking around the top on both sides for about a 2 mile stretch. The north side is very steep and rocky for about 200' where it starts to level off above the rocks I'd consider the military crest. South side is gradual slope and benches. All mostly mature oaks and some patches of laurel. Mostly westerly winds.

I've found very many beds on both sides within the top 200' of elevation. My concerns are.

The number of beds. Once I get on the right elevation. I find beds every 100-200 yards. Some areas I know are doe bedding, But I find a lot of beds with trees rubbed all around. It's that I don't know how to hunt the better beds without scaring deer left and right getting there.

The other thing is that I find a lot of little tiny poops but not those big poops. I know there's big boys around. I found some rubs today that topped out over 42"

I'm starting to believe the big boys are holing up in the rocks on the north side. It's very unpleasant walking. Sane humans avoid it. I have found a few beds in there, but mostly I see where the deer cross over the rocks in areas that it's a little easier. Is it normal for a dominant buck bed to be within 75 yds of doe bedding?

One thing I do know is I found great rut funnels between all of the bedding around rocky crags and cliffs.

TNstalker

Re: Am I on the wrong track

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:26 am

I know dan and many others say if u ain't bumping deer sometimes ur not in the game. Can't help with the steep bedding questions but in my area I have high deer density an I have found bucks bedding close to doe groups outside of rut bc it was a great spot and he wasn't getting bothered there.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:12 am

Mature bucks do use other deer/animals as part of their security system. They may be bedded a distance away but can still use them as a benefit. I saw this alot with elk and mule deer. sometimes it's just tough and takes trial and error.

As far as the rocky terrain. Just remember four legged animals can walk places that we never could. I've seen mule deer and elk walk in some really rocky terrain. Both broken up rock covered hillsides (talis slopes) and narrow mountain goat type cliff trails.

If this type of terrain keeps humans out. They have to be used by mature bucks if they can find a small flat spot to bed. Maybe the bed may not have the best wind advantage. But if they can hear and/or see really well. It may be just fine.

More than likely the wind/thermals are moving in ways that work a little differently than the norm. Areas with lots of rocky outcroppings often have pockets where the wind swirls around constantly. Sometimes even causing down drafts in the thermals. Even small openings in thick timber or cover can cause changes in wind directions. Combine the two....... you see where I'm going!!!!!! I didn't even mention wind gusts.

I've stood in spots out west and watched the snow blowing in 3 different directions at once. Now Dan brings up "thermal tunnels".

Sorry got to rambling because of remembering about some frustrating elk hunts. Point is it's worth taking a look and figuring things out.

Good luck!!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks for the insight

The most recent walk there I noticed an area within the steep rocks that has more ground cover, and put on the list for one of my next scouting missions. I have done some kicking around in the talis, but it's a slow go. The deer know where the band of rocks narrows and it really funnels them. It's pretty open in most of the talis slope, but it is speckled with large twisted oaks. I was going from tree to tree looking for little shelves above them for a bed so far I've found two nice beds in the rocks, but they are right on the border of private, and I believe the deer travel into the private to get to ag fields mostly.

I'm still cutting teeth when it comes to hunting beds. I can find beds I'm still learning how to setup on them. There is going to be growing pains this season no doubt. I've kinda was always taught that you have to leave the beds alone like getting close was taboo. When I started hearing beast podcasts and reading on the site I instantly had a duh moment. It just made so much sense that I can't believe I didn't try it.

And stash I followed my brother around for a few days while he was elk hunting and I have seen how they go through the talis slope and then three more miles before you can curse them out for busting you
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:43 am

Grasshopper wrote:Thanks for the insight

The most recent walk there I noticed an area within the steep rocks that has more ground cover, and put on the list for one of my next scouting missions. I have done some kicking around in the talis, but it's a slow go. The deer know where the band of rocks narrows and it really funnels them. It's pretty open in most of the talis slope, but it is speckled with large twisted oaks. I was going from tree to tree looking for little shelves above them for a bed so far I've found two nice beds in the rocks, but they are right on the border of private, and I believe the deer travel into the private to get to ag fields mostly.

I'm still cutting teeth when it comes to hunting beds. I can find beds I'm still learning how to setup on them. There is going to be growing pains this season no doubt. I've kinda was always taught that you have to leave the beds alone like getting close was taboo. When I started hearing beast podcasts and reading on the site I instantly had a duh moment. It just made so much sense that I can't believe I didn't try it.

And stash I followed my brother around for a few days while he was elk hunting and I have seen how they go through the talis slope and then three more miles before you can curse them out for busting you

Can you glass the talis from another ridge or high spot? Look for larger boulders. Sometimes there's flat spots above or below them suitable for a bed. Or a rock outcrop just above the talis. Maybe what some of the rocks broke off of. I've seen flat spots there that had mule deer beds. Alot of times these outcrops are too small to register on a topo. Larger trees in or near the talis also.

Get a bearing on them and use a long distance rangefinder to get a distance. If you can't take another bearing from a different angle. Mark a waypoint in your GPS where you took your bearing/s. Then plot them on an aerial from Google Earth. Mark a line on the bearing/s and/or measure the distance if needed. Use the intersection or the distance mark to get coordinates to put in the GPS. Mark way points and use them to check for beds. This will save time and steps.

It would be cool to see some photos of the area. Not aerials if you need to keep it secret. Just pics of the terrain.

Funny how often the elk and deer seem to know to do that!!
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:07 am

I tried posting aerials, but I'm not very computer savvy and couldn't figure out how to edit revealing information out. I can take a camera along next time for images in the field. My smartphone camera no longer focuses properly. It's pretty standard eastern hardwoods just some steep Appalachian mountains. Time has them worn down to granite.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:15 am

As far as glassing goes you can glass from above or below, but the next ridge is miles away. I've been noting where trails enter and exit the talis. My theory is that once I have a good map of these trails it will dictate where to spend more time. This weekend I'm going to try to get into the area with cover in the rocks.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 am

Go to photobucket, upload the pic. Click on the pic, top right corner should be editing options, choose draw and cover up names, road names, ect.. Save pic --> delete original. Click on new pic, to the right of pic should have options for sharing and will show email, direct, html, and image. Click link for image, should auto copy (if not just copy that link), paste it here.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:50 am

It sounds like you are on the right track man, no people, tough walking, lots of sign, tough access, property line... I am a big believer in property line buck beds being some of the best. It can be tough when they bed on the edge and head out away. I think you are doing a good job bc you are looking for the ingredients and spots to lay, id say its only matter of time before you find a good one! All spring i have had to get on my knees to find hair, i would expect that to start changing pretty quickly. You spoke about satellite bedding and access, these two things are some tough parts of beast hunting... some others are wind, having a job & wife/family! :lol: When its time to hunt that bed, its not always a weekend or day off. Some beds will require a steady 10-15 wind, some may need to be wet and quite entry, some may only be huntable in am/pm. Every one is different, you take what you find and do the best you can. I feel I am rewarded every year for the hard work, i hope you have the same results!

Rocky terrain can be tough, i rarely find what im looking for on rocks but that will vary terrains, regions, pressure, ect... I agree wthe other members, bucks will use other deer as security and high density areas they have to tolerate each other to survive and bed. Does being 75-200 yards isnt something to worry about, its very common. Rut beds can be tough, but it will be rare occasions to find hair in a rut bed. Let the sign tell the story, alot of times it will lead you straight to a bed. They can bed w tree in front of them a alot in hill country.

Finding rubs around a bed or bedding area is a great sign, can be mis - leading, but you have the intel. If you have a bed or spot you keep thinking about, go back and check it again. Since you are talking about having issues w satellite bedding close by, pick multiple trees from the furthest to the closest spots you can hunt that deer so you have options. Does dont always bed w a wind like bucks do. I have see them bedding on those off/ side, goofy winds bc they have multiple eyes spotting danger. If you found fresh doe beds or jumped them, mark the wind they were there on or go back and look at recent wind to figure it out. This is a rock solid way to start rut hunting w serious action! Setting up between the does will keep you standing all day in the stand. Keep looking, hopefully its not a rut only spot, but sounds like your on the right track. No matter what you find, you know where to be and when to be there or not to even waste your time. 1 hr of walking can save a day of hunting in spots that dont produce.
Last edited by <DK> on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:52 am

Grasshopper wrote:As far as glassing goes you can glass from above or below, but the next ridge is miles away. I've been noting where trails enter and exit the talis. My theory is that once I have a good map of these trails it will dictate where to spend more time. This weekend I'm going to try to get into the area with cover in the rocks.

If you can afford it and if it's allowed. Flying over the area may help. That's what the Wensels did alot before the colored aerials online became available. Do it at the right time of the day and things really stand out. Like in the morning or before the hillside gets much shadow. But before it gets too bright to cause lots of glare. Take a camera and fly in one direction to take the pics. So you can keep an order to them. Like start at the top. Fly west to east taking pics as you go. Then move so you can cover a little lower elevation but still fly west to east. During leaf drop is best.

On uploading pics. Preveiw before hitting submit. For some reason with the new format the URL is also giving out all the info to get into my account. Also sometimes it just sends people right to my pic on PhotoBucket. Which then gives access to everything in my account. I've been using the LINK que instead and then deleteing the stuff before the URL.

Matbe someone can show goth of us self taught computer hacks how to do it easier.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:43 am

As of this week I'm seeing a lot of hair in beds. It has been unseasonably warm here though.

Is photo bucket easier to use on a desktop. I was trying to use my phone, but I got extremely frustrated mostly with the ads. I should be better with computers I'm only 32, but I mostly only use my phone and mostly for recreation. I'm one of the fortunate few that doesn't use a computer for work. I can usually figure out how to do what I need to on them, but I can't stand the sneaky ads that pop up on some sites and it's weird when a site isn't designed for phones
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:31 pm

I don't own a smart phone. But I have Adblocker and AdblockerPlus on my computer. Makes a world of difference.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 pm

I would say you are on the right track and moving at a good pace.

photobucket has an app.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:15 am

I would start with the most bulletproof access and work your way in...maybe taking down a satellite or two on the way lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”