I think i like scouting more than hunting.....

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gjs4
500 Club

I think i like scouting more than hunting.....

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Seriously...I really love to scout...physically via boot leather or glassing..and then setting the trap...you know what I mean" that tree" on "that wind" on "that day". My buddy and I dumped a 5.5 here this year and a dandy in OH last year...with so many deer passed on some of these sets...I really think I like setting up the kill station and breaking down ground/patterns more than the shot......

Am I nuts?

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
muddy

Re: I think i like scouting more than hunting.....

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Yeah, walking around and getting things planned out really is fun for me too.

But I still like the victory more than the planning.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 pm

I enjoy the planning part... travel, stands, loading up truck, cams, access, entrance, exit, exploring new areas (I love seeing new country). Spending time with good friends/family... killing a SLOB buck is bonus
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:33 am

Yea... Kind of weird, but there is a great feeling about looking at the world of a mature buck and figuring out how he is outsmarting and surviving. I enjoy figuring them out more than hunting and killing too.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:56 am

ever since marsh bucks came out and i've been hanging out on the forum, the more i look forward to, understand, and love scouting! and yes i've come to enjoy this more than the killing
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:55 am

The last few years I have really increased my amount of scouting and it has really been paying off big time with increased buck sightings. This year has been unbelievable even though I never released an arrow. I've had people say that I must be "lucky" or something with all of the bucks I see. I tell them that it's funny because the harder I scout the "luckier" I become. Some people just don't get the concept and don't want to put in the extra effort.

I never realized until the last few years how rewarding it can be to scout hard, figure out the deer movement and location of buck bedding areas and then put it all together to actually see your target animal. I have logged in over 250 hours on stand this year and put in way more than that scouting and I loved every minute of it. I have to say that I too actually like scouting more than hunting even more as the years go on.

My season is done tommorow but the way I look at it is really the start of next season and I will immediately start my post season scouting getting ready for next year. I will continue this until probably early summer and then I just do lot's of glassing and shining. If you are not scouting year round you will not be on the deer when it counts. To me scouting is almost like an addiction and I am always looking for another buck to hunt or public land I may have overlooked to check out.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:11 pm

I love the scouting too,I wish the early springtime scouting was,nt sooo short.It,s pretty bad when you save your vacation time for spring scouting .I know I,m gettin really pumped about it just talking about it.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:56 am

Spen the day in the woods yesterday- checking out bedding travel patterns and bedding areas- was as so wound up to get out...sorta funny...and boy are the traps being set in my mind...though it hurts to see any missed opportunites I should've recognized last season
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:38 am

One of the best parts for me is ansering those nagging questions about deer or sign you seen but couldn't go beyond a certain point while hu nting for fear of ruining the hunt. Now I can go in and look. 8-)
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:23 am

Scouting a new area that I have obtained permision to hunt on is alot of fun to me. Scouting the property that I have been hunting for a few years and discovering new things about the land and how the deer have been avoiding me is really fun to me. Scouting and then making it all come together is better then anything to me.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:16 pm

I think that's awesome that folks like the scouting as much or more than the hunting. That's really where the hunt is made. Is also a good thing if one does, because it's so necessary for consistent success.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:45 am

Buckfever wrote:I think that's awesome that folks like the scouting as much or more than the hunting. That's really where the hunt is made. Is also a good thing if one does, because it's so necessary for consistent success.

Well said! 8-) I too am addicted to scouting and figuring out mature deer. I owe a lot of that to Dan and marsh Bucks! I just love that video and watch it all the time still! Best hunting video hands down imo! ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:11 am

I really enjoy the scouting especially new areas.When I was younger I enjoyed the scouting too much and didn't spend enough time hunting! Now I have the scouting figured out before hand and do much better with the hunting end. But I have always had that "urge" to see what is over the next hill in "Big Woods Country" So yes, I actually enjoy the scouting more I think.
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:14 am

I love getting out there and scouting.But I also love the hunt.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:07 am

Well said guys, I just love to scout and sometimes the scouting planning stage and putting it all together can be more fun than hunting. With that said I don't think it will ever beat a mature buck encounter or better yet finally connecting on that big buck but it sure is a heck of a lot of fun!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”