Island Scouting Trip - Thoughts?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AvidHunter88

Island Scouting Trip - Thoughts?

Unread postby AvidHunter88 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:21 am

Hey fellow beast members. I scouted a new island spot this past weekend and am looking for some input. The picture is my rough topo sketch. The island is surrounded on all sides by cattails. The only ag fields are on private land to the west. There’s another island to the north that’s on private. The south and east are mostly water after the cattails. The island itself is only about 175 yds wide so not very big. I’m pretty bad at identifying trees but I think I found some swamp white oaks on the island.

I’ve got a couple questions. Would you set up either… A) Specifically on one of those beds. B) Along the edge in between the beds. C) In the center of the island to get a feel for it first and then move in closer on a second sit. D) Somewhere else completely. Also, when and why would a deer head to the island instead of straight out to the ag fields to the west? And lastly, do you see these as wind specific beds or more of an anytime beds? Thanks in advance for any help. Feel free to give input on anything you see or ask me questions. Thanks!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Island Scouting Trip - Thoughts?

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:11 am

If it were me I would set up on the island near the three beds you have marked. Probably about where you have that nearest rub marked... I find that bucks often go up on these islands 1st, stage and nibble there before heading to crops or other food sources. If there are acorns dropping, for sure...
AvidHunter88

Unread postby AvidHunter88 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:25 am

dan wrote:If it were me I would set up on the island near the three beds you have marked. Probably about where you have that nearest rub marked... I find that bucks often go up on these islands 1st, stage and nibble there before heading to crops or other food sources. If there are acorns dropping, for sure...

Thanks Dan!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:41 am

dan wrote:If it were me I would set up on the island near the three beds you have marked. Probably about where you have that nearest rub marked... I find that bucks often go up on these islands 1st, stage and nibble there before heading to crops or other food sources. If there are acorns dropping, for sure...

How early do you see this staging? Obviously this is different in low pressure vs high pressure areas. Would it be out of the ordinary to see deer on their feet hours before dark if you are in a very low pressure area?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:34 am

Jonny wrote:

How early do you see this staging? Obviously this is different in low pressure vs high pressure areas. Would it be out of the ordinary to see deer on their feet hours before dark if you are in a very low pressure area?

There is one swamp island where I have seen big bucks up and feeding at 2 or 3 in the afternoon in September when the acorns are dropping... Since then other people have started to put pressure on this island and now its closer to drk... Normally, its the last hour of light, but there certainly are exceptions.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:49 am

dan wrote:
Jonny wrote:

There is one swamp island where I have seen big bucks up and feeding at 2 or 3 in the afternoon in September when the acorns are dropping... Since then other people have started to put pressure on this island and now its closer to drk... Normally, its the last hour of light, but there certainly are exceptions.

That's what I was thinking. I have a couple areas I want to go look at where I wouldn't be surprised to see movement early in the day. But this is also a rural big woods setting with very little to no pressure outside of me
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”