Buck Sign in Higher Pressure Area Next to Lower Pressure Area

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Buck Sign in Higher Pressure Area Next to Lower Pressure Area

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:18 am

Anyone have any experience scouting low pressure private land that butts up to or is near public land that you have also scouted?

I know there are many many factors involved in this. But lets say you have two nearly identical quality bedding areas. One is on the low pressure ground and the other is 300 yards away on the higher pressure ground. Do you see a big difference in the amount and size of the sign you find?

I am kind of answering my own question here, and I think I know how some people might respond. But I would like to hear some real world examples of what people have experienced.

This question has been spawned by the small property I am currently scouting. It is in an area that I know there are some really big bucks around. Now I have seen some true big buck sign before, and i am not quite seeing it here. I am finding some nice medium sized/height rubs though. Just not the mega rubs that I have found on other properties. I feel like I am figuring this place out and milking out every bit of potential it has for buck killing areas. But the lack of true big buck rubs around just makes a tiny little bit of doubt sit in the back of my mind. Once again, there are big ones around. I almost hit one with my truck at dusk about 200 yards from this public piece.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
hunter_mike

Re: Buck Sign in Higher Pressure Area Next to Lower Pressure Area

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:40 am

Thinking it would be very interesting to get permission to scout on the other side of the fence just to see how much greener the grass really is (or isnt)
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:31 am

Bucks will always take low pressure over high pressure... The problem with that statement is its misleading. Every place I find consistent big buck bedding is low pressure, even if its on high pressure land. I hunt a public spot in Western Wisconsin that butts up against a large pc of land leased by 8 or 9 guys trying to grow and kill mature bucks thru management. Typically I see the biggest bucks there bed on the public land even though they feed in the lush food plots... Why? Cause 8 or 9 guys every weekend is heavier pressure than the 1 or 2 guys on that pc of public...

The exact spot they bed at needs to have little human disturbance. It don't matter whats going on 100 yards away or across the fence. They can't read, they judge a spot by how it smells.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:44 am

dan wrote:Bucks will always take low pressure over high pressure... The problem with that statement is its misleading. Every place I find consistent big buck bedding is low pressure, even if its on high pressure land. I hunt a public spot in Western Wisconsin that butts up against a large pc of land leased by 8 or 9 guys trying to grow and kill mature bucks thru management. Typically I see the biggest bucks there bed on the public land even though they feed in the lush food plots... Why? Cause 8 or 9 guys every weekend is heavier pressure than the 1 or 2 guys on that pc of public...

The exact spot they bed at needs to have little human disturbance. It don't matter whats going on 100 yards away or across the fence. They can't read, they judge a spot by how it smells.

I have a spot I used to hunt just like this. Always saw really nice deer on the public while my buddy on the private next to it only saw small ones, and few of those. Nobody ever went on the public, didn't even know it was public, and the private is high pressure QDM. The area is really hilly and the bucks bed in the bottoms opposed to the ridges since the pressure is so low there. Most of the property that is public is just a swampy mess and has a thin ring of hardwoods around it. Once it starts sloping up, its private. So while they should bed up on the hills, they don't.

Would you get a place to live in the busiest downtown area, or would you rather go live in the quiet suburbs? I would think deer would be the same way. That's how I see it
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:55 pm

dan wrote:Bucks will always take low pressure over high pressure... The problem with that statement is its misleading. Every place I find consistent big buck bedding is low pressure, even if its on high pressure land. I hunt a public spot in Western Wisconsin that butts up against a large pc of land leased by 8 or 9 guys trying to grow and kill mature bucks thru management. Typically I see the biggest bucks there bed on the public land even though they feed in the lush food plots... Why? Cause 8 or 9 guys every weekend is heavier pressure than the 1 or 2 guys on that pc of public...

Simple statements like that always have an impact on how I think. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”