Trail cam question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

splaker19

Trail cam question

Unread postby splaker19 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 am

Got a trail camera for Christmas. I need to know where to put it and when. I've found a large swamp. The transition area is loaded with rubs and scrapes, and unfortunately other hunter stands ( bait piles). There is an island that has more trails crisscrossing it than a guy can count (all with scrapes on them during the rut) . I've failed miserably at hunting this island. The swamp itself is a creek bottom made up of willow , alder, and dogwood. Hip boots are required to navigate it, as the deer trails are under water. However, every place a tamarack tree grow in the swamp ,a deer bed lies underneath on the slightly higher ground. There are multiple beaver dams that seem to be preferred crossings. The surrounding upland is flat Jack pine with a few scattered oak. There is no agriculture within 50 miles. I was thinking of putting the camera on the dam crossings but not sure I want to finally hunt this area right.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Trail cam question

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:16 am

I would set the camera up where you have the most deer traveling to start. The best used trail for starts. Trails that have the most buck sign. Let the camera run for a couple of months and see what you have. If you are getting all doe pics move it to another high traffic area.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”