How do you corelate your winter scouting with spring/summer scouting?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: How do you corelate your winter scouting with spring/summer scouting?

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:51 pm

The bucks in this picture were feeding in this corn field and bedding very close by. The areas these bucks came from had no bucks/deer period. They came from miles away and from all directions. The food source kind of dictates where/when the bucks will bed. even during hunting season. :think: If I would have hunted the beds these bucks were using in the picture, 8 months later I would have been in for some pretty empty hunts.

For me to figure out where these bucks bed, takes some knowledge of the area and an understanding of when and where the bucks bed using certain food sources and at certain times of the year. Now if I was thinking about setting up on this field the next year and hunting the beds these bucks were using when the picture was taken, I again would be in for some empty hunts. The crops rotated and the field had zero bucks and the beds were not being used the following year. :think: The following year the bucks/deer yarded up about 4 miles from this spot on another food source. And this spot was void of deer.

Knowing the area you hunt and understanding how things work in the areas you hunt is huge. Another thing to note. If you want to find dropped antlers look for high concentrations of deer(like in the picture) and you will more than likely find some drops.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: How do you corelate your winter scouting with spring/summer scouting?

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:36 am

Great example Stan! I am sure more than one hunter has been tripped up by sign like this.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”